Hydroelectric Plants in Australia - Tasmania
Bastyan
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 81 MW Francis
Operation: 1983
T/G supplier: Fuji
EPC: Hydro-Electric Commission
Quick facts: Bastyan PS is the third HPP in the Pieman River scheme. The plant is located at the foot of Bastyan Dam which forms Lake Rosebery. Lake Rosebery is fed with discharge from Mackintosh PS and the spill from both Mackintosh and Murchison dams. Bastyan Dam is a rock-filled concrete faced structure built just upstream of the power station. The intake to the Bastyan tunnel is located near the center of the dam.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 19 Apr 2015

Butlers Gorge
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 12.2-MW Francis
Operation: 1951
T/G supplier: EE
EPC: Hydro-Electric Commission
Quick facts: This HPP wsa the first in the Derwent scheme and is at the foot of Clark Dam forming Lake King WIlliam. The plant connects to the Transend Network grid at 110kV.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 1 Nov 2015

Catagunya
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 2 X 25 MW Francis
Operation: 1962
T/G supplier: Boving, ASEA
EPC: Hydro-Electric Commission, Cementation Co
Quick facts: Catagunya PS is the seventh of the ten stations in the Derwent/Nive Scheme. It is located on the Derwent River downstream of Wayatinah PS. The 49m tall pre-stressed concrete gravity dam was the first such installation in Australia. It was refurbished in2009/10 at a cost of A$38mn. Water is diverted through a short flume and then drops 44m through two concrete-encased steel penstocks into the power station. Two sets of radial gates are installed at the entrance to the flume, and also at the forebay leading to the penstocks.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 19 Apr 2015

Cethana
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 100 MW Francis
Operation: 1962
T/G supplier: Voith, Fuji
EPC: Hydro-Electric Commission
Quick facts: Cethana is the fifth station in the Mersey-Forth scheme. It is supplied with water from Lake Cethana which is fed by the outflow from Lemonthyme (Mersey River) and Wilmot (Lake Gairdner) Power Stations and uncontrolled flow from the Forth River. Cethan was originally conceived as a concrete arch dam but was changed into a 110m tall concrete-faced rockfill stucture during the design phase. Water from the underground station is returned to the Forth River through a tailrace tunnel. The turbine has a partially embedded spiral casing and is connected to a 130m steel-lined power tunnel with a vertical lift, gravity-closed intake gate. In Jul 2013, Andritz Hydro signed a contract with Hydro Tasmania for the supply of new generator stators and auxiliary equipment for the Cethana and Fisher HPP.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 19 Apr 2015

Cluny
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 17 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1967
T/G supplier: Boving, Siemens
Quick facts: Cluny PS is the ninth of ten stations in the Nive/Derwent scheme. The project includes The facilities include a concrete gravity dam, intake structure with intake gate,a short penstock integrated into the dam, the powerhouse, and associated electrical facilities.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 18 Jan 2015

Devils Gate
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 60 MW Francis
Operation: 1969
T/G supplier: Boving, Siemens
EPC: Hydro-Electric Commission
Quick facts: Devils Gate is the sixth station in the Mersey-Forth scheme. The scheme has a 84m tall, double-arch, concrete dam forming Lake Barrington, an intake structure, a 150m penstock tunnel, and a surface powerhouse. The station connects to the Transend Networks grid via two 11/110 kV generator transformers and outdoor switchyard adjacent to the station.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 15 Sep 2004

Fisher
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 46 MW Pelton
Operation: 1973
T/G supplier: Fuji, Siemens
EPC: Hydro-Electric Commission
Quick facts: Fisher PS is in the upper reaches of the Fisher River and is the second station in the Mersey-Forth scheme. It is supplied with water from Lake McKenzie, supplemented by water run-off from the plateau and by water pumped from Yeates Creek and Parsons Falls pumping stations. Water flow to the station is via a 6.5km flume, siphon and canal and then a 5.2km vertical shaft, inclined shaft, tunnel and surface penstock.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 19 Apr 2015

Gordon River
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 3 X 144 MW Francis
Operation: 1978-1988
T/G supplier: Fuji, Siemens
Quick facts: Gordon PS is the only station on the Gordon/Pedder scheme. The powerhouse is 183m underground and is supplied with water from Lake Gordon through a 137m vertical shaft. Water from the station is returned to the Gordon River through a 1.6km tailrace tunnel. Lake Gordon’s major inflow is from Lake Pedder. Unit-3 is capable of synchronous condenser operation and has a turbine water blow down system installed to enable operation in this mode.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 2 Oct 2002

John Butters
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 143 MW Francis
Operation: 1992
T/G supplier: Fuji
EPC: Hydro-Electric Commission
Quick facts: John Butters PS is on the left bank of the King River above its junction with the Queen River. Lake Burbury is the principal storage for the King River scheme, storing water from the King River and its tributaries at the Crotty and Darwin dams. The water from Lake Burbury drops 200m on its 7km via tunnels to John Butters. Sir John Henry Butters was the Hydro-Electric Department’s first general manager and chief engineer.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 19 Apr 2015

Lake Echo
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 32.4 MW Francis
Operation: 1956
T/G supplier: English Electric
Quick facts: Lake Echo HPP is on the shores of Dee Lagoon. Water is diverted from Lake Echo by a single 2.5km flume and 700m canal. It then drops 168m through a single steel penstock to the station with a surge tower located midway along the penstock.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 19 Jan 2015

Lower Lake Margaret Rebuild
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 3.2-MW Turgo
Operation: 2010
T/G supplier: Tamar, Indar
EPC: Shaw Contracting
Quick facts: This SHP on the Yolande River is 2.5km downstream from the Lake Margaret PS. It was opened in 1931 for additional power for the mines, purchased by Hydro Tasmania in 1985, and decommissioned in 1995. A significant redevelopment was completed in 2010 including a new penstock, T/G set, and 1.9km woodstave pipeline. A galvanized iron extension structure was used for the new equipment. Electricity is delivered to the original coppermine switchyard in Queenstown.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 1 Nov 2015

Lemonthyme
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 54 MW Francis
Operation: 1992
T/G supplier: Fuji, Siemens
EPC: Hydro-Electric Commission
Quick facts: Lemonthyme is the third station in the Mersey- Forth scheme. The complex includes a rock-fill dam on the Mersey River which forms Lake Parangana, an intake structure, a 6.5km long power tunnel, a 1.6km surface penstock, the power station building, generator equipment and associated facilities.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 19 Apr 2015

Liapootah
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 3 X 27.9 MW Francis
Operation: 1960
T/G supplier: English Electric
Quick facts: This PS is supplied with water by a concrete gravity dam with a spillway crest drum gate downstream of Tarraleah and Tungatinah Power Stations. Water is diverted through a 6.6km concrete lined tunnel.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 19 Jan 2015

Mackintosh
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 81-MW Francis
Operation: 1982
T/G supplier: Fuji
EPC: Hydro-Electric Commission
Quick facts: This station is located at the foot of the Mackintosh Dam on Lake Mackintosh, the principal storage reservoir for the Pieman scheme. The water then runs to Lake Rosebery and Bastyan Power station. The powerhouse is connected to the intake by a 200m power tunnel. The plant connects to the 110kV grid.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 1 Nov 2015

Meadowbank
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 42 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1967
T/G supplier: Boving, Siemens
Quick facts: This is the last of the ten stations in the Nive/Derwent scheme. The project includes The facilities include a concrete gravity dam, intake structure with intake gate,a short penstock integrated into the dam, the powerhouse, and associated electrical facilities.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 19 Jan 2015

Midlands
Location: TAS
Operator: Tasmanian Irrigation Pty Ltd
Configuration: 1 X 6.6-MW Pelton
Operation: 2014
T/G supplier: Allied Industrial Engineering, HydroWorks
EPC: Fulton Hogan, Zinfra
Quick facts: This SHP at Floods Creek near Tunbridge is part of the A$100mn Midlands Water Scheme. It includes the SHP plus 15km of 22kV transmission lines and 34km of pipeline from Arthurs Dam in central Tasmania.

Photograph courtesy of Fulton Hogan
Posted 4 Jun 2016

Nieterana
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 2.2-MW Francis
Operation: 2004
T/G supplier: Fouress, Leroy Somer
Quick facts: Nieterana, the Aboriginal word for little brother, is located at Butlers Gorge in the Derwent scheme. It uses discharge water from Butlers Gorge PS flowing into Tarraleah No 2 Canal.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 1 Nov 2015

Paloona
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 30-MW Kaplan
Operation: 1972
T/G supplier: Fuji, Siemens
Quick facts: Paloona PS is the seventh and last station in the Mersey-Forth scheme. The plant is on the Forth River at the foot of Paloona Dam. The rock-fill, concrete face dam has a side channel spillway and is fed from the outflow of Devils Gate PS.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 1 Nov 2015

Parangana Dam
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 750-kW Francis
Operation: 2002
T/G supplier: Tamar, TECO
EPC: Tamar
Quick facts: Parangana SHP is located at the foot of Parangana dam, a rockfill/clay core dam which forms Lake Parangana.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 1 Nov 2015

Poatina
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 6 X 50-MW Pelton
Operation: 1962-1977
T/G supplier: Bovig, Andritz, Fuji, Siemens
Quick facts: The Poatina machine hall is 150m and supplied by water from Great Lake delivered via a 5. 6mm headrace tunnel to a single, hydraulically operated, hilltop valve. A 105m, steel lined penstock tunnel leads to the penstock tunnel portal. Water is then carried via a 1.8km surface penstock to a 150m vertical shaft leading to the underground penstock distributor with six branches. The rated head for the station is 758m. Water from the turbines discharges directly into a 4 kilometre long tailrace tunnel exiting at Palmers Rivulet. Between 2008 and 2010 the No 1, 4 and 5 Boving turbines were changed out for modern Andritz machines. The station output is fed to Transend Networks’ transmission grid via underground circuit breakers to two 16 kV/110 kV and four 16 kV/220 kV generator transformers located in the switchyard above.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 2 Nov 2015

Reece
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 2 X 119-MW Francis
Operation: 1986-1987
T/G supplier: Fuji
Quick facts: Reece is the last of the four stations in the Pieman River scheme, located at the foot of the Reece Dam on Lake Pieman. The dam and power station are named after the Honourable Eric Reece who was the Premier of Tasmania from 1958–1969 and again from 1972–1975. The rock-filled concrete-faced dam is upstream of the power station with two virtually identical intake structures control inflow into two independent 250m tunnels, each dedicated to one machine. The output from each generating set is fed to Transend Networks’ 220kV transmission grid.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 2 Nov 2015

Repulse
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 28-MW Kaplan
Operation: 1967
T/G supplier: Boving, Siemens
Quick facts: Repulse is the eighth station in the Nive/Derwent scheme. The HPP has a concrete arch dam, intake structure and gate, a short penstock integral with the dam, and the powerhouse. Discharge is into the Derwent River. Repulse has a 220kV outdoor switchgear adjacent to the station.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 2 Nov 2015

Tarraleah
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 6 X 16 MW Francis
Operation: 1938-1951
T/G supplier: Boving, English Electric

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 25 Jan 2004

Tribute
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 84-MW Francis
Operation: 1994
T/G supplier: Fuji
EPC: Hydro-Electric Commission of Tasmania
Quick facts: Tribute PS is the first of four stations in the Anthony/Pieman River schemes. The underground powerhouse is with water from Lake Plimsoll via a 7km HRT. A 800m tailrace tunnel discharges into Lake Murchison. Station output is fed to the grid via a 13.8/220kV generator transformer and 220 kV outdoor switchyard situated above the station.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 21 Nov 2015

Tungatinah
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 5 X 25 MW Francis
Operation: 1953-1956
T/G supplier: Boving, GEC
Quick facts: Tungatinah was the second HPP of the Nive/Derwent scheme. The station is located on the Nive River upstream from Tarraleah PS. The headworks include several dams, a tunnel, canals, pipelines, flumes, associated control gates and a pump station. Water is diverted from Tungatinah Lagoon by a short tunnel with surge shaft and then drops 290m through five steel penstocks to the power station. Water discharges into the Nive River.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 18 Jan 2015

Upper Lake Margaret
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 7 X 1.2 MW Pelton
Operation: 1914-1930
T/G supplier: Boving
Quick facts: In 1911, the Mt Lyell Co began construction on a dam to raise the height of Lake Margaret, a glacial lake on Mt Sedgwic, and clear a site on the Yolande for a new power station to support their mining operations. The site is about 10km from Queenstown. Hydro Electricity Commission brought the Lake Margaret scheme in 1985. It was closed from 30 Jun 2006 to Nov 2009 for refurbishment. The 2.2km low-pressure woodstave penstock from the lake to the powerhouse is of considerable historical significance and was operational for 69yrs. Sections were preserved during the power station refurbishment.

Photograph courtesy of www.queenstowntasmania.com
Posted 9 Oct 2010

Waddamana A&B
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 2 X 3.6 MW, 7 X 6.3 MW (A Plant) 4 X 12 MW (B Plant) Pelton
Operation: 1916-1949 (ret)
T/G supplier: Boving, British Westinghouse, GE, English Electric
Quick facts: These plants were part of the original Great Lakes Scheme, originally a private venture of the Hydro-Electric Power and Metallurgical Co. Development began in 1908, but the owner went into receivership in 1914 and Waddamana-A was acquired by the state government. The Hydro-Electric Dept was established in Aug 1914 to take the scheme forward and the new PS supplied domestic and industrial users in Hobart and Launceston. The "B" plant was proposed in 1929, but was deferred until the late 1930s when demand increased in Tasmania. Waddamana-A was the island's main source of power until Shannon and Tarraleah HPP came online. Waddamana-A was closed in 1965 but was repurposed as a museum from 1988. Waddamana-B was closed in 1995.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 21 Jan 2015

 
Wayatinah
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 3 X 15.3 MW Francis
Operation: 1957
T/G supplier: English Electric
Quick facts: Wayatinah is the sixth station on the Nive/Derwent cascade and is downstream of Liapootah HPP. Water is supplied from a small storage lake called Wayatinah Lagoon and diverted into a 2km tunnel to two 1.3km low-pressure wood stave pipelines. Finally, water drops 56m through three steel penstocks to the powerhouse.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 21 Jan 2015

Wilmot
Location: TAS
Operator: Hydro Tasmania
Configuration: 1 X 32 MW Francis
Operation: 1971
T/G supplier: Fuji, Siemens
Quick facts: Wilmot is in the Mersey-Forth catchment. Water from Wilmot River is stored at Lake Gairdner by the Wilmot Dam and transferred by tunnels to Wilmot PS.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Tasmania
Posted 21 Jan 2015

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 04-Jun-2016

Home