Hydroelectric Plants in Canada - Ontario A-I
Appleton
Location: ON
Operator: Canadian Hydro Developers Inc
Configuration: 3 X 450 kW Kaplan
Operation: 1994
T/G supplier: Canadian Hydro Components, WHC
Quick facts: This SHP was built at the site of an old mill.

Photograph courtesy of Canadian Hydro Developers Inc
Posted 7 Aug 2005

Barrett Chute
Location: ON
Operator: Ontario Power Generation
Configuration: 2 X 24 MW, 2 X 62 MW Francis
Operation: 1942-1968
T/G supplier: ACC, CGE
Quick facts: Construction on the main dam at Barrett Chute started in 1938. The concrete gravity structure on the Madawaska River is 27m high and 360m long. The site is 29km from Renfrew and the power station is operated remotely from Chenaux.

Photograph courtesy of Ontario Power Generation
Posted 4 Jan 2009

Bracebridge Falls
Location: ON
Operator: Bracebridge Generation Ltd
Configuration: 2 X 300 kW Kaplan
Operation: 1900-1904
T/G supplier: Cooper, CGE
Quick facts: Bracebridge Falls, once named North Falls, is now the site of the hydroelectric plant, moved from the Upper Falls in 1902. Bracebridge is said to be the first municipality in Canada to embrace hydro power. The generators and generator bearings are original although the turbines, flumes and the dam have been replaced.

Photograph by gregorypleau (flickr)
Posted 20 Aug 2006

Caribou Falls
Location: ON
Operator: Ontario Power Generation
Configuration: 3 X 28.5 MW propeller
Operation: 1942-1968
T/G supplier: DEW, CGE
Quick facts: The Caribou station was the third plant built along the English River to meet rising demand from mining and pulp and paper industries. The site is 66km from Kenora and is operated remotely from Thunder Bay. The power station was rehabilitated in 2006. Umfreville Lake above the dam is a renowned fishing destination.

Photograph courtesy of Ontario Power Generation
Posted 4 Jan 2009

Chat Falls/Chute-des-Chats
Location: ON
Operator: Ontario Power Generation/Hydro-Quebec
Configuration: 8 X 18.4 MW propeller
Operation: 1931-1932
T/G supplier: DEW, WHC
Quick facts: This jointly-owned power station is on the Ottawa River near Fitrzroy Harbour. Modern development of the site for hydropower got underway when the Hydro-Electric Power Commission expropriated various properties and rights to development on the Ontario side of the river while all development rights on the Quebec side of the boundary had been combined and a development license obtained from the Quebec Government. Chats Falls Power Co, later Ottawa Valley Power Co, was formed and proceeded with surveys and plans for a development that would place a powerhouse and dam along the Ontario shore, using about half the river flow. In 1928, an agreement was made with HPC development of the whole site in one powerhouse. Surveys and engineering studies proceeded and construction started in the Fall of 1929.The plant is controlled and owned jointly by OPG (Units 2-5) and Hydro-Quebec (Units 6-9).

Photograph courtesy of Ontario Power Generation
Posted 5 Jun 2011

Chaudiere Falls
Location: ON
Operator: Energy Ottawa Inc
Configuration: 3 X 1.4 MW, 3 X 7 MW, 4 X 4 MW Francis, 700-kW pump turbine
Operation: 1891-2007
T/G supplier: SMS, Barber, Allis Chalmers Canada, CGE, WHC, Norcan, American Hydro Components, Delstar Power
Quick facts:In 1889, the Government of Upper Canada released 60 “water leases”, granting rights to generate hydroelectric generators at Chaudiere Falls. After a period of consolidation, the leases ended up with Ottawa Hydro (17), E B Eddy Co (23), and Hydro-Quebec (20). In 1910, the Ring Dam was built raising the waterlevel of the Ottawa River to the west by 4ft. In 1997, E B Eddy was acquired by Domtar. In 2000, following the restructuring of the provincial electricity sector, Ottawa Hydro became Energy Ottawa. The company took over the site’s two 100yr old buildings – Generating Station No 2 and Generating Station No 4 – and completely refurbished them in 2001 and 2005 respectively. In 2007, Energy Ottawa added the 700-kW Grinder generator. in Nov 2012, Hydro Ottawa acquired three HPPs, a 38.3% share in the Ring Dam, and the remaining water leases (40 of 60) at Chaudiere from Domtar for $46mn. In 2014, Energy Ottawa obtained an OPA contract to build a new 29-MW HPP at Chaudiere Falls. This will replace the oldest sets at GS No 2, said to be the oldest HPPs still operating in Canada.

Photograph courtesy of Hydro Ottawa
Posted 12 Sep 2015

Crowe Bay
Location: ON
Operator: Hydro One Networks
Configuration: 1 X 900 kW, 1 X 1,180 kW Francis
Operation: 1912-1981
T/G supplier: Barber, GE, AC, CGE
Quick facts: Located at Lock 14 of the Trent-Severn Waterway, north of Campbellford in Trent Hills.

Photograph courtesy of Trent Rapids Power
Posted 15 Jan 2007

Decew Falls I&II
Location: ON
Operator: Ontario Power Generation
Configuration: 2 X 5 MW, 4 X 6.4 MW, 2 X 64 MW propeller
Operation: 1904-1947
T/G supplier: Voith, Western Electric, ACC, CGE
EPC: Angus McDonald & Co, Royal Electric Co
Quick facts: The first plant at DeCew Falls, 2mi from St Catharines, was built by Cataract Power Co to supply power to Hamilton 35mi away. It used water from Lake Erie delivered through the Welland Canal to Lake Gibson. Seven steel penstocks supply direct-connected, horizontal turbines. Tail-water is carried downstream via Twelve Mile Creek to Lake Ontario at Port Dalhousie. The head is 260ft. The plant was completed in 1912 with a total output of 44.6 MVA at 66 2/3 cycles. In 1930, it was bought by Ontario Hydro and converted to 60 cycle operation. This is the oldest Niagara power station still operating.

Photograph courtesy of Ontario Power Generation
Posted 4 Jan 2009

Des Joachims
Location: ON
Operator: Ontario Power Generation
Configuration: 8 X 50 MW Francis
Operation: 1950-1951
T/G supplier: DEW, WHC
EPC: HEPC
Quick facts: The Des Joachims plant is the largest OPG plant on the Ottawa River. Construction started in 1942 and it was officially opened on 28 Jun 1950 by HEC Chairman Robert H. Saunders and Ontario Premier Leslie Frost. The dam required considerable rehabilitation after commissioning.

Photograph courtesy of Ontario Power Generation
Posted 4 Jan 2009

Ear Falls
Location: ON
Operator: Ontario Power Generation
Configuration: 2 X 5 MW propeller, 2 X 6 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1930-1948
T/G supplier: DEW, SMS, Sulzer, WHC, Oerlikon
EPC: HEPC
Quick facts: The construction of the Ear Falls GS was facilitated by the Lac Seul Conservation Act of 1928, an agreement between the federal government and the provinces of Ontario and Manitoba. Construction started in the summer of 1928 and was completed in the spring of 1929. Ear Falls GS uses water from Lac Seul on the English River. Simultaneously with the work on the power development, Howey Gold Mines Ltd built a 64km transmission line from the plant to its mine at Red Lake. In Aug 1997, a fire destroyed the powerhouse but the major equipment components survived and were restored following reconstruction in 1998. As part of the project, new electrical systems and controls were installed.

Photograph courtesy of Ontario Power Generation
Re-posted 5 Mar 2010

Fenelon Falls
Location: ON
Operator: Shaman Power Corp
Configuration: 2.6 MW
Operation: 1997
T/G supplier: ??
Quick facts: Located at Lock 34 of the Trent-Severn Waterway in Kawartha Lakes.

Photograph courtesy of Trent Rapids Power
Posted 15 Jan 2007

Galetta Rebuild
Location: ON
Operator: Canadian Hydro Developers Inc
Configuration: 1.6 MW
Operation: 1998
T/G supplier: Canadian Hydro Components, WHC
Quick facts: In 1998,CHD purchased the Galetta plant from Canadian Hydro Components, which had acquired the site from Ontario Hydro a local private power producer. The plant was originally built in 1907 to provide local power supply. CHD upgraded the original generators, added two propeller turbines with induction generators, replaced the original turbines with larger machines and automated control room components.

Photograph courtesy of Canadian Hydro Developers Inc
Posted 20 Oct 2007

Glen Miller
Location: ON
Operator: Innergex Group
Configuration: 2 X 4 MW bulb
Operation: 2005
T/G supplier: VA TECH
Quick facts: This facility is Sonoco’s Mill Dam on the Trent River and replaced an old 1-MW powerhouse. The existing dam was refurbished to raise the operating level of the head pond by 1.6m to a final rated head of 6.1m. The plant is connected to an existing Hydro One 44kV line to feed into the Ontario electricity market.

Photograph courtesy of Ontario Power Authority
Posted 1 Jul 2006

Frankford
Location: ON
Operator: Ontario Power Generation
Configuration: 4 X 1.158 MW bulb
Operation: 1913
T/G supplier: Sulzer, WHC
EPC: Smith Kerry and Chace
Quick facts: This plant was built for Sidney Electric Power Co and acquired by HEPC in 1916. New turbines were installed in 1992.

Photograph courtesy of Ontario Power Generation
Posted 29 Nov 2009

Hagues Reach
Location: ON
Operator: Ontario Power Generation
Configuration: 3 X 1.4 MW
Operation: 1925
T/G supplier: ACC, WHC
Quick facts: This stretch of the Trent River near Campbellford is correctly known as "Haig's Reach," named after Thomas Haig; who was born in 1853 in Seymour Township.

Photograph courtesy of Ontario Power Generation
Posted 29 Nov 2009

Hanna Chute
Location: ON
Operator: Ontario Power Generation
Configuration: 1 X 1.4 MW
Operation: 1926
T/G supplier: DEW, CGE
Quick facts: Hanna Chute is on the Muskoka River near Bracebridge. It was built by Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario and went commercial on 22 Oct 1926.

Photograph courtesy of Ontario Power Generation
Posted 29 Nov 2009

Harmon
Location: ON
Operator: Ontario Power Generation
Configuration: 2 X 68 MW propeller
Operation: 1965
T/G supplier: John Inglis, WHC
EPC: HEPC
Operation: This is one of four Mattagami River generating stations officially opened by Hon John P Roberts, Premier of Ontario and George E Gathercole, then HEPC Chairman on 21 Jul 1966. The ceremony took place at the Harmon station.

Photograph courtesy of Ontario Power Generation
Re-posted 29 Nov 2009

Healey Falls
Location: ON
Operator: Ontario Power Generation
Configuration: 3 X 3.75 MW
Operation: 1913-1919
T/G supplier: WSM, Escher Wyss, CGE
Quick facts: Healey Falls is on the Trent-Severn Waterway near the town of Campbellford. Flows on the river are controlled by Parks Canada whose primary objective is to maintain water levels for navigation purposes. The powerhouse designed to accommodate four turbines. A new machine is being installed in the spare bay in the existing powerhouse. One of the original penstocks will be bifurcated to supply the new new turbine.

Photograph courtesy of Ontario Power Generation
Posted 29 Nov 2009

High Falls
Location: ON
Operator: Bracebridge Generation Ltd
Configuration: 1 X 800 kW Francis
Operation: 1948
T/G supplier: Cooper, CGE

Photograph by Dave (pbase)
Posted 4 Sep 2006

Hound Chute Rebuild
Location: ON
Operator: Ontario Power Generation
Configuration: 2 X 5.1 MW Francis
Operation: 2010
T/G supplier: Litostroj, Indar
EPC: RSW, Kiewit Alarie Partnership
Quick facts: Hound Chute is on the Montreal RIver about 6mi from Cobalt, ON. In 1910/11, four small were built by Cobalt Power Co to serve local mining companies. The old station was demolished beginning in Jul 2009 and replaced by a new station, which commissioned on 7 Dec 2010.

Photograph courtesy of Ontarion Power Generation
Posted 20 Jun 2015

Indian Chute
Location: ON
Operator: Ontario Power Generation
Configuration: 2 X 1.8 MW, 1 X 9.35 MW Francis
Operation: 1923-1924
T/G supplier: Boving, Westinghouse
Quick facts: Indian Chute was built by Great Northern Power Co, which amalgamated with the Northern Ontario Power Co in Dec 1928. NOPC was bought by Ontario Hydro in Nov 1944.

Photograph courtesy of Ontarion Power Generation
Re-posted 20 Jun 2015

   
Island Falls
Location: ON
Operator: ACH LP
Configuration: 4 X 9.6 MW Francis
Operation: 1923-1924
T/G supplier: IPM, Dominion Engineering, GE, Westinghouse
Quick facts: In Apr 2007, Abitibi-Consolidated Company of Canada formed ACH Limited Partnership to hold hydroelectric generating assets in Ontario.

Photograph by Markus C (Panoramio)
Posted 17 Jan 2011

Flag of Ontario (Canada)

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 12-Sep-2015

Home