Hydroelectric Plants in New Zealand - North Island

Arapuni
Location: Waikato
Operator: Mighty River Power
Configuration: 4 X 25 MW, 4 X 26.6 MW Francis
Operation: 1929-1946
T/G supplier: Sorumsand, Voith, Asea, MV
EPC: Armstrong Whitworth, Public Works Dept
Quick facts: This the oldest operating staion on the Waikato River and is 16km from Putaruru. The first unit went online in Jun 1929. The dam across the Arapuni Gorge is 64m high. The water then flows through a 1.2km open headrace, and then through penstocks to the powerhouse at the base of the gorge. The powerhouse is listed under the Historic Places Trust and the scheme cost $9mn. Starting in Sep 2005, Mighty River Power, Trevi SpA and Brian Perry Civil began a precision-drilling program designed to cut off rock fissures beneath the dam. These were known from the original construction but beginning in 2000, monitoring had revealed worrisome changes in the subsoil monitoring. Exploratory holes were drilled inside the dam galleries and interim grouting work was completed pending the full-scale mitigation process. This cost $20mn.

Photograph by Andrew McCabe
Posted 13 Nov 2004

Aratiatia
Location: Auckland
Operator: Mighty River Power
Configuration: 3 X 31.3 MW Francis
Operation: 1964
T/G supplier: Kvaerner, CGE
Quick facts: This is the first hydro station and smallest hydro reservoir on the Waikato River.

Photograph by Andrew McCabe
Posted 13 Nov 2004

Atiamuri
Location: Waikato
Operator: Mighty River Power
Configuration: 4 X 21 MW Francis
Operation: 1958-1962
T/G supplier: EE, Asea
Quick facts: Atiamuri power station was approved at the same time as the Ohakuri and Waipapa projects. This was the fifth dam in the Waikato system and construction started in Nov 1953. A worker village was built near the site on area cleared from pine plantations. Construction was completed 6mos ahead of schedule in Nov 1958. Generation from Atiamuri and the new Meremere coal-fired station allowed post-war, North Island electricity restrictions to be lifted by Christmas 1958. A fourth generator was added in 1962. Lake Atiamuri extends about 5km towards Taupo.

Photograph by Br3nda (flickr)
Posted 19 Sep 2008

Dawson Falls
Location: Taranaki
Operator: Department of Conservation
Configuration: 1 X 80 kW Pelton
Operation: 1935
T/G supplier: GE
Quick facts: The Dawson Falls PS opened on 30 Jun 1934 to power the isolated Dawson Falls Lodge. The DC generator was built in 1901 and previously served the Kelburn Cablecar. It is the oldest DC generator continuously operating in New Zealand, and among the oldest operating in the world.

Photograph courtesy of IPENZ Engineers New Zealand
Posted 26 Dec 2010

Kaitawa
Location: Hawke's Bay
Operator: Genesis Power
Configuration: 2 X 18.5 MW
Operation: 1948
T/G supplier: GEC

Photograph courtesy of Genesis Power
Posted 25 Jan 2004

Kuratu
Location: Auckland
Operator: King Country Energy Ltd
Configuration: 2 X 3 MW Francis
Operation: 1962
T/G supplier: Boving, ASEA
Quick facts: This SHP is fed by an open channel from Lake Kuratu to a top screen and then into twin penstock pipes.

Photograph courtesy of King Country Energy Ltd
Posted 4 Dec 2008

Piriaka
Location: MWT
Operator: King Country Energy Ltd
Configuration: 1 X 1 MW Francis, 2 X 230 kW Kaplan
Operation: 1924-1971
T/G supplier: Maier, Boving, GE
Quick facts: Piriaka is on the Wanganui River from which a small canal was built to an underground penstock. Originally, the plant was isolated and supplied Taumarunui, but in 1938 the local system was connected to the grid. Two additional small sets were added in 1971.

Photograph courtesy of King Country Energy Ltd
Posted 4 Dec 2008

Mangapehi
Location: Waikato
Operator: Clearwater Hydro Ltd
Configuration: 2 X 800-kW Pelton
Operation: 2008
T/G supplier: ??
EPC: McMahon Engineering

Photograph courtesy of Clearwater Hydro Ltd
Posted 10 Oct 2015

Maraetai-B
Location: Waikato
Operator: Mighty River Power
Configuration: 5 X 36.8 MW Francis
Operation: 1971
T/G supplier: Kvaerner, Siemens

Photograph courtesy of Mighty River Power Co Ltd
Posted 27 Apr 2004

Matawai
Location: Waikato
Operator: Clearwater Hydro Ltd
Configuration: 2 X 1-MW Pelton
Operation: 2009
T/G supplier: ??
EPC: McMahon Engineering, Pipeline & Civil Ltd
Quick facts: This SHP on the Waikohu River in Gisborne district was consented in Mar 2006 and commissioned on 8 Jan 2009. The site is on farm property owned by Rata Hills Trust. Clearwater Hydro is 100% owned by The Lines Co.

Photograph courtesy of McMahon Engineering
Posted 7 Oct 2015

Piripaua
Location: Hakwe's Bay
Operator: Genesis Power
Configuration: 2 X 22 MW
Operation: 1941
T/G supplier: GEC

Photograph courtesy of Genesis Power
Posted 25 Jan 2004

Ruahihi
Location: Bay of Plenty
Operator: Trustpower Ltd
Configuration: 2 X 10 MW Francis
Operation: 1981
T/G supplier: Litostroj, Koncar

Photograph courtesy of Trustpower Ltd
Posted 27 Apr 2004

Speedys Road
Location: Waikato
Operator: Clearwater Hydro Ltd
Configuration: 1 X 2-MW Francis
Operation: 2011
T/G supplier: Boving, EE
EPC: McMahon Engineering
Quick facts: The Speedys plant is on the Tawarau River in Te Anga and went online in Jun 2011. Slightly increased water uptake was consented in 2015. This T/G set was relocated from Monowai SHP.

Photograph courtesy of McMahon Engineering
Posted 7 Oct 2015

Tokaanu
Location: Auckland
Operator: Genesis Power
Configuration: 4 X 60 MW Francis
Operation: 1973
T/G supplier: AC, GEC

Photograph courtesy of Genesis Power
Posted 25 Jan 2004

Tuai
Location: Hawke's Bay
Operator: Genesis Power
Configuration: 3 X 17.3 MW Francis
Operation: 1929
T/G supplier: GEC

Photograph courtesy of Genesis Power
Posted 25 Jan 2004

   
Whakamaru
Location: Auckland
Operator: Mighty River Power
Configuration: 4 X 25 MW Francis
Operation: 1956
T/G supplier: DePretto Escher Wyss, GEC

Photograph courtesy of Mighty River Power Co Ltd
Posted 25 Jan 2004

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 09-Oct-2015

Home