Hydroelectric Plants in Russia - Northwestern FD - Karelia Republic

Belomorskaya
Location: Karelia Republic
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 3 X 9.2- MW Kaplan
Operation: 1962-1963
T/G supplier: LMZ, UETM
EPC: Lenhydroproject
Quick facts: Construction of the plant started in Jan 1961, the first unit entered operation 1 Dec 1962 and the HPP was fully completed in Aug 1963 . This was the third of the four plants of the Lower Vyg cascade.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 28 Dec 2016

Kondopozhskaya
Location: Karelia Republic
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 1 X 4.5 MW, 2 X 12.3 MW Francis
Operation: 1929-1951
T/G supplier: Nohab, Tampella, ASEA
EPC: Lenhydroproject, Spetsgidroenergomontazh
Quick facts: On 29 Jan 2014, this HPP on the Suna River celebrated its 85th. anniversary. The 30,000hp facility was the largest hydro project in Russia when first proposed as part of Lenin's GOERLO plan in 1916. Construction began in 1923. The electromechanical equipment had to be rebuilt completely after World War II, some T/G sets having been relocated and the smallest one destroyed.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 19 Feb 2014

Kumskaya
Location: Karelia Republic
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 2 X 42-MW Kaplan
Operation: 1962-1963
T/G supplier: Kharkov, Electrosila
EPC: Lenhydroproject, Gidroenergostroy
Quick facts: Kumskaya and Iovskaya were built concurrently on the Kovda River. Kumskaya Unit-1 commissioned on 30 Dec 1962 and the whole project was finished at the end of 1963. Average productionis about 356 GWh/yr.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 30 Dec 2016

Matkozhnensk
Location: Karelia Republic
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 3 X 22 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1953
T/G supplier: KMW, Tampella, Electrosila
EPC: Lenhydroproject, Gidroenergostroy
Quick facts: Construction on this HPP began in 1949 and finished up in 1953 It is part f the hydropower system on the Lower Vyg amd the White Sea-Baltic Canal. This was the first of the four plants of the Lower Vyg cascade.The plant was damaged by heavy flooding in Aug 2012 and took several years to fully repair and refurbish.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 28 Dec 2016

Palakorgskaya
Location: Karelia Republic
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 3 X 10-MW Kaplan
Operation: 1967
T/G supplier: LMZ, UETM
EPC: Lenhydroproject, Gidroenergostroy
Quick facts: This HPP has a remote site on the Lower Vyg. Construction got underway n Jun 1964, Units 1&2 went into operationin Jan 1967 abd Unit-3 in Mar 1967. This was the last of the four plants of the Lower Vyg cascade.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 28 Dec 2016

Vygostrovskoy
Location: Karelia Republic
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 2 X 20-MW Kaplan
Operation: 1961
T/G supplier: LMZ, UETM
EPC: Lenhydroproject
Quick facts: This project was developed in 1954/5, approved by the Ministry of Power in 1957, redesigned to lower thecost, and re-approved in 1960. Construction began in Apr 1959. Several redesigns were unertaken to preserve rock art and petroglyphs found during initial construction. Some of the cave painings are preserved in a museum pavilion and are the oldest ever found in Katelia dating back to the fourth millenium BC. This was the second of the four plants of the Lower Vyg cascade.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 28 Dec 2016

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 30-Dec-2016

Home