Hydroelectric Plants in Russia - Northwestern FD - Murmansk oblast

Borisoglebskaya
Location: Murmansk
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 2 X 28 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1962-1963
T/G supplier: LMZ, UETM
EPC: Lenhydroproject, Norelektro, Selmer, Furuholmen, Astrup Auber
Quick facts: Construction on this joint project with Norway began in 1960 and the plant commissioned on 24 Mar 1964. The underground power house is about 1.5km from the Barents Sea.

Photograph courtesy of raycam.my1.ru
Posted 27 Apr 2013

Hevoskoski
Location: Murmansk
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 2 X 23.5 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1959
T/G supplier: LMZ, UETM
EPC: Lenhydroproject
Quick facts: This unit commissioned on 9 Sep 1970. It is part of the Pasvik River cascade 51km downstream of Lake Inari. The project has a 6ha headpond.

Photograph courtesy of raycam.my1.ru
Posted 27 Apr 2013

Iovskaya
Location: Murmansk
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 2 X 48-MW Kaplan
Operation: 1960-2014
T/G supplier: LMZ, Kharkov, Andritz, Electrosila
EPC: Lenhydroproject, Gidroenergostroy, Andritz, Nordenergomontazh
Quick facts: Construction at this HPP began in 1958 and the first unit was put into operation 28 Dec 1960. Full commercial operation began on 17 Mar 1965 (2 X 41 MW). It is one of the two plants on the Kovda River cascade. In Jul 2011, Andritz was contracted by TGC to modernize Iovskaya on a turnkey basis. The scope of supply included two double regulated Kaplan turbines (replacing the original propeller turbines), automation systems, a new generator winding, and renewal of BOP equipment. In Dec 2013, the 72hr test run of the first unit was successfully concluded and the unit was handed over in Jan 2014. The entire project completed in Nov 2014.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 30 Dec 2016

Kaitakoski
Location: Murmansk
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 2 X 5.6 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1959
T/G supplier: ??
EPC: Imatran Voima Oy
Quick facts: This is the top of the Paz River cascade HPP development downstream of Lake Inari. The river runs 147km and has 7 HPP, 5 Russian and two Norweigan.

Photograph courtesy of raycam.my1.ru
Posted 27 Apr 2013

Knyazheguba
Location: Murmansk
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 4 X 37.5-MW Francis
Operation: 1955-1956
T/G supplier: LMZ, Electrosila
EPC: Lenhydroproject, Gidroenergostroy
Quick facts: This was the first station on the Lower Kovda system. It utilizes waters collected and stord by five separate dam and weir systems.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 30 Dec 2016

Niva-1
Location: Murmansk
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 2 X 15-MW Kaplan
Operation: 1952-1953
T/G supplier: KMW, UETM
EPC: Lenhydroproject, Spetsgidroenergomontazh
Quick facts: The first unit at Niva-1 was commissioned on 25 Dec 1952. This was one of the first HPP in Russsia equipped for remote operation.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 30 Dec 2016

Niva-2
Location: Murmansk
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 4 X 15-MW Kaplan
Operation: 1934-1937
T/G supplier: LMZ, Electrosila
EPC: Lenhydroproject, Gidroenergostroy
Quick facts: This was the first HPP of the Niva cascade. Construction got underway in 1930 and the first uit started up on 30 Jun 1934. In 1936, Kolenergo was formed to operate the major power plants on the Kola Peninsula including Niva-2, Murmansk TEZ, and Nizhne Tulomskaya. After the Second World War, the plant was restored to full operation in 1946.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 31 Dec 2016

Niva-3
Location: Murmansk
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 3 X 38.5-MW, 1 X 40-MW Francis
Operation: 1949-1950
T/G supplier: LMZ, Electrosila
EPC: Lenhydroproject, Gidroenergostroy
Quick facts: This was the first underground HPP in the Soviet Union with the powerhouse built at a depth of 76m. Work began in the 1930s at the site, which is 5km from Kandalaksha Gulf of the White Sea. Niva-3 went into full commercal operation on 6 Jul 1951.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 31 Dec 2016

Nizhne Tulomskaya
Location: Murmansk
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 4 X 14.3-MW propeller
Operation: 1937-1949
T/G supplier: LMZ, Electrosila
EPC: Lenhydroproject, Belbaltkominatom NKVD
Quick facts: The first unit at this plant, the first on the Tuloma River cascade, online on 11 Jul 1938. This HPP was one of the first in the region to be built with a fish ladder. The turbines were rebuilt and uprated about 12% in 1989. Total production is about 245 GWh/yr.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 1 Jan 2017

Rayakoski
Location: Murmansk
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 3 X 14.4 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1955-1956
T/G supplier: Tampella
EPC: Imatran Voima Oy
Quick facts: The first unit at Rayakoski went online on 25 May 1956 and Unit-3 completed on 25 May 1956

Photograph courtesy of raycam.my1.ru
Posted 27 Apr 2013

Verkhne Tulomskaya
Location: Murmansk
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 4 X 67-MW Kaplan
Operation: 1965-1966-1949
T/G supplier: LMZ, Electrosila
EPC: Lenhydroproject, Imatran Voima Oy
Quick facts: Work started on this HPP in 1961 and the first 3 units were declared commercial on 27 Oct 1965. It served as the frequncy regulator for the entire Kola system until the region was connected to the unified grid in 1975. Total production is about 860 GWh/yr.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 1 Jan 201

Yaniskoski
Location: Murmansk
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 2 X 15 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1950
T/G supplier: KMW, ASEA
EPC: Imatran Voima Oy
Quick facts: Yanikoskoi was first put online in 1942 when the site was in Finnish territory. It was the first HPP in the Paatsjoki (Paz) River cascade. Ouput was originally directed to nearby nickel mines. The plant and facilities were damaged in 1944 as the German foreces retreated and rebuilty by the Finns. It came back online in 1950. It is 23km from Lake Inari.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Re-posted 1 Jan 2017

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 04-Jan-2017

Home