Hydroelectric Plants in Pennsylvania
Conemaugh River Lake Dam
Location: PA
Operator: National Renewable Resources
Configuration: 2 X 7 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1989
T/G supplier: Kvaerner
EPC: Morrison Knudsen, Kiewit
Quick facts: Conemaugh River Lake is a part of a system of nine Corps of Engineers' reservoirs in the Allegheny River basin. The dam is operated in conjunction with seven other projects to control adverse acid mine drainage impacts on the lower Allegheny River.

Photograph courtesy of USACE
Posted 20 Mar 2005

Holtwood
Location: PA
Operator: PPL Generation LLC
Configuration: 8 X 10 MW, 2 X 12 MW, 2 X 62.5 MW
Operation: 1910-1924, 2013
T/G supplier: WH, Voith, Siemens
Quick facts: Construction started at the McCall's Ferry HPP ca 1907 (later renamed Holtwood). For a time, this dam -- 2,392ft long and 55ft high -- was the longest in the USA and the plant the largest hydroelectric power station in the country. In 1987, ASME designated the first Kingsbury thrust bearing at Holtwood as an International Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark. The Holtwood fish lifts are among the largest in the nation. Behind the dam is 2,400ac Lake Aldred, a popular boating and recreation area. PPL manages more than 5,000ac of nearby land for soil, water and wildlife habitat preservation. On 2 Dec 2013, PPL commissioned a pair of new units at Holtwood, the centerpiece of a $440mn project to boost the plant's generating capacity and improve fish passage over the century-old dam. The integrated improvements to the fish lifts and water flows are expected to ease fish migration along the Susquehanna River and its tributaries

Photograph courtesy of PPL Corp
Re-posted 7 Dec 2013

Lock and Dam 8
Location: PA
Operator: Sithe Energies
Configuration: 2 X 6.5 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1990
T/G supplier: Voest
EPC: Ebasco
Quick facts: Lock and Dam 8 on the Allegheny River was built from 1928-1931.  A small hydro plant (shown under construction) was added 50 years later.

Photograph by Bill Lukitsch and courtesy of USACE
Posted 27 Dec 2004

Lock and Dam 9
Location: PA
Operator: Sithe Energies
Configuration: 2 X 8.7 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1990
T/G supplier: Voest
EPC: Ebasco
Quick facts: Lock and Dam 9 on the Allegheny Riverwas built from 1935-38.  A small hydro plant was added 50 years later.

Photograph by Bill Lukitsch and courtesy of USACE
Posted 27 Dec 2004

Safe Harbor
Location: PA
Operator: Safe Harbor Water Power Corp (SHWP)
Configuration: 7 X 33 MW Kaplan, 5 X 37.5 MW mixed flow, 2 X 2 MW Francis
Operation: 1931-1986
T/G supplier: AC, GE, WH
EPC: Chas T Main (Phase II)
Quick facts: SHWP was incorporated in Jan 1930 by Pennsylvania Water & Power Co (PWP) with one third ownership and Consolidated Gas Electric Light and Power Co, the predecessor of the present Baltimore Gas and Electric Co, with two-thirds. Construction got underway in Nov 1929 and first power was in Dec 1931 after 20mos of work in the Susquehanna River. The gravity dam is 75ft high and 4,869ft long (incl powerhouse). Originally, seven generating units were installed at a cost of $34mn. In 1955, PWP was merged into Pennsylvania Power & Light Co. In 1985/86, five additional units were installed at a total cost of $125mn. In Jun 1993, Safe Harbor signed an agreement to construct a fish passage facility to allow American shad to pass up-river. This was designed by Stone and Webster and built by Cianbro. The $17mn facility was completed in Sep 1996.

Photograph courtesy of Power
Posted 26 Aug 2006

Wallenpaupack
Location: PA
Operator: PPL Generation LLC
Configuration: 2 X 22 MW Francis
Operation: 1926
T/G supplier: IPM
Quick facts: The dam is 1,275ft long and 70ft high. The plant is supplied from the 5,700ac Lake Wallenpaupack via a 3-mile, 14ft diameter pipeline.

Photograph courtesy of PPL Corp
Posted 28 Aug 2005

   
  York Haven
Location: PA
Operator: Olympus Power LLC
Configuration: 20 MW, 6 Kaplan sets, 13 Francis sets
Operation: 1904-1926
T/G supplier: SMS
Quick facts: York Haven is on the Susquehanna River downstream from Harrisburg. York Haven Water and Power Co was formed to build the project and land and water rights on the river were purchased from the York Haven Paper Co. Construction began in 1901 at Conawago falls where there was a 16ft drop over a 3/4mi river stretch. When the first six units went online in 1904, York Haven was one of the three larget hydroelectric plants in the USA. The project was completed in 1907 with a 5,000ft dam and 3,000ft headrace and was run for many years by Metropolitan Edison Co. The 13 Francis sets and some of the metering equipment are original. In Oct 1980, ASME named one of the Kaplan turbines made by SMS as a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark as it was one of the first three machines of its type to enter operation in the United States.

Photograph by Connor Stoehr
Posted 9 May 2012

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 07-Dec-2013

Home