Coal-Fired Plants in Australia - QLD & SA
Bulimba-B
Location: QLD
Operator: Southern Electricity Authority of Queensland
Configuration: 6 X 30 MW
Fuel: subbituminous coal
Operation: 1953-1964 (ret 1986)
Boiler supplier: B&W, Dodds
T/G supplier: Parsons
EPC: Downer
Quick facts: The first section at Bulimba was built by City Electric Light Co Ltd around 1926. This company became Southern Electric Authority in 1953. Construction started on Bulimba-B in 1949. The remaining boilers at Bulimba-B and Tennyson were retrofit with fabric filters in 1983.

Photograph courtesy of Aussie Bhoy (skyscrapercity.com)
Posted 12 Feb 2011

Callide A&B
Location: QLD
Operator: CS Energy
Configuration: 4 X 30 MW, 2 X 350 MW
Fuel: subbituminous coal
Operation: 1965-1989
Boiler supplier: Mitchell, Babcock-Hitachi
T/G supplier: Parsons, Hitachi
Quick facts: Callide-A is the site of a 30 MWe scale, oxy-fuel technology demonstration project designed to capture and store up to 30,000 tpy of CO2. The project is managed by a JV including CS Energy, IHI Ltd, Japan Coal Energy Centre (JCOAL), J-Power, and Schlumberger. A collaboration agreement was signed in Sep 2004 and a feasibility study completed. The $206mn project started construction in Nov 2008 with operation in 2011.

Photograph courtesy of CS Energy
Posted 3 Nov 2004

Callide-C
Location: QLD
Operator: Huaneng OzGen
Configuration: 2 X 460 MW
Fuel: subbituminous coal
Operation: 2001
Boiler supplier: IHI
T/G supplier: Toshiba
EPC: Mitsui, Pacific Power International, IHI, Toshiba
Quick facts: In May 1998, CS Energy and Shell Coal finalized a 50:50 joint venture to build the Callide-C IPP power station adjacent to the existing B plant near Rockhampton in central Queensland. Later, InterGen took over the lead from Shell. In May 1998, the turnkey construction contract was awarded and in Oct 2000, InterGen completed debt-financing of $325mn for its stake in the project with a syndicate of Bank of America, BNP Paribas, and National Australia Bank. The two 420-MW supercritical units, Australia’s first, were opened in Jul 2001. Low-sulfur fuel is supplied from the Callide coalfields jointly owned by Shell and AMP.

Photograph courtesy of Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries
Posted 18 Apr 2004

Gladstone
Location: QLD
Operator: NRG Gladstone
Configuration: 6 X 280 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1976-1982
Boiler supplier: Dodds
T/G supplier: Parsons, Fuji, Siemens
EPC: Siemens
Quick facts: Gladstone is the largest power plant in the state and is at a coastal site 550km north of Brisbane. Development began in 1969 and Southern Electricity Authority of Queensland (SEAQ) was designated to build and operate the station. The official opening was in Sep 1976. In Jul 1977, Queensland Electrical Generating Board assumed control after a reorganization of the State’s electricity supply industry. When Comalco started planning the Boyne Island Smelter expansion in 1988, they evaluated the acquisition of Gladsone PS to provide certainty of electricity cost and supply. In Mar 1994, the plant was was sold to a private-power consortium led by NRG Energy and Comalco. Following the sale, a $A180mn capital works program was undertaken, half of which was allocated for environmental improvements. Then owners were Rio Tinto Ltd (42.125% ownership), NRG Energy (37.5%), SLMA GPS Pty Ltd (8.50%), Ryowa II GPS Pty Ltd (7.125%) and YKK GPS (Queensland) Pty Ltd (4.75%). About 4mn tpy of coal is delivered by rail from the Curragh mine 200km west of Rockhampton. The stacks are 153m tall. Trading rights for Gladstone PS were transferred to CS Energy on 1 Jul 2011 as a result of the Queensland Government’s Generator Restructure.

Photograph by Nickj (wikipedia)
Posted 14 Jul 2010

Kogan Creek
Location: QLD
Operator: CS Energy Corp Ltd
Configuration: 1 X 750 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 2007
Boiler supplier: Babcock-Hitachi
T/G supplier: Siemens
EPC: Siemens, PB Power
Quick facts: In early 1999, Siemens was awarded a turnkey contract by Consolidated Electric Power Asia (CEPA), then a unit of the U.S. holding company Southern Co and later Mirant, for this coal-fired unit at Chinchilla near Surat about 280km southwest of Brisbane. In Mar 2000, the generating license was approved and in Jun 2000, the project received environmental approval. In May 2002, CS Energy acquired full ownership of the project from Mirant, having taken a 40% stake in 1998. The company also owns the adjacent 300mn ton Kogan coal field which supplies coal to the power station via a 4km conveyor belt. In Jun 2004, Kogan Creek received final approvals from the state government and the EPC contract award was confirmed. In Sep 2004, PB Power was appointed as owner’s engineer. The project cost A$1.2bn and is the largest generating unit in Australia. Supercritical steam conditions of 250 bar/540C/560C give a nominal thermal efficiency of 37% (UHV) with air cooling.

Photograph courtesy of CS Energy
Re-posted 3 Sep 2008

Millmerran
Location: QLD
Operator: Huaneng OzGen
Configuration: 2 X 440 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 2003
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: Ansaldo
Quick facts: In Sep 1999, Babcock & Wilcox was awarded a $95mn contract for two supercritical boilers for this IPP. This followed the Jul 1999 award of a generating license and mining lease by the state government. The lead investor is InterGen with a 53.7% stake and other investors include GE Capital (6.3%), and Energy Investors Fund (5%). In Sep 2002, Tohoku Electric Power Co made its first overseas power investment by agreeing to invest A$260mn in a Marubeni affiliate that had taken a 35% stake in Millmerran. The site is 9km outside Millmerran, a rural township 180km west-southwest of Brisbane. The project also includes a 3.6mn tpy coal mine run by Roche Mining and a pipeline to carry treated sewage effluent from Toowoomba’s Wetalla sewage treatment works about 80km away. Total costs were about $920mn and financing was arranged by a large group of banks including ABN Amro, ANZ Investment Bank, Bank of America, Bayerische Hypo-und Vereinsbank, BOS International, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, KBC Bank, National Australia Bank, Overseas Union Bank, and Royal Bank of Scotland.

Photograph courtesy of InterGen Australia
Posted 6 Apr 2003

New Farm
Location: QLD
Operator: Southern Electricity Authority of Queensland
Configuration: 2 X 7.5 MW, 5 X 18.75 MW
Fuel: subbituminous coal
Operation: 1928-1944 (ret 1971)
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: BTH
Quick facts: The first section at New Farm was built from 1927-28 by Brisbane City Council Tramways and Powerhouse Department after their offer to purchase City Electric Light was rejected. This led to a 30yr split of Brisbane city electric supply between CEL and BCC. CEL later became Southern Electricity Authority. During regular operations, plant output was approximately 25% to the Tramways and 75% to the Electricity Department, with occasional exports to the CEL via an interconnector installed in April 1940. In 1963 the Electricity Rationalisation Agreement transferred operations to the Southern Electric Authority but the property was retained by the BCC. The main building was later repurposed as an arts and culture center called Brisbane Powerhouse. This opened in 2000.

Photograph courtesy of State Library of Queensland (wikipedia)
Posted 9 Nov 2013

Northern
Location: SA
Operator: Alinta Energy
Configuration: 2 X 260 MW
Fuel: brown coal
Operation: 1984-1985
Boiler supplier: VKW
T/G supplier: MHI
Quick facts: In Aug 2000, the Flinders power stations (Northern and Playford) were bought from ETSA by NRG Energy. In June 2006, NRG agreed to sell the two plants and related assets to a subsidiary of Babcock & Brown for A$317mn plus the assumption of A$238mn in debt obligations and A$42mn in cash. The plants ended up with Alinta Energy. Fuel is supplied via a leased rail line connecting the power stations to the Leigh Creek Coalfield. The Northern stack is 200m tall.

Photograph by ilmar v (Panoramio)
Re-posted 5 Jul 2014

Thomas Playford
Location: SA
Operator: Alinta Energy
Configuration: 3 X 30 MW (ret), 4 X 60 MW
Fuel: brown coal
Operation: 1954-1963
Boiler supplier: Dodds
T/G supplier: Parsons, EE, ABB Stal
Quick facts: This plant is named after Tom Playford, Premier of South Australia from 1938 to 1965. He created the Electricity Trust of SA in Sep 1946 and the new state-owned copany then took over the private Adelaide Electric Supply Co. ETSA moved ot use Leigh Creek coal for a new power station at Port Augusta is 250km north of Adelaide and the Playford "A" plant was commissioned in 1954. The "B" plant was refurbiahsed , a project completed in 2005.

Photograph by ilmar v (Panoramio)
Posted 5 Jul 2014

Swanbank A&B
Location: QLD
Operator: Stanwell Corp
Configuration: 6 X 68 MW, 4 X 125 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal, landfill gas
Operation: 1966-1973 (ret)
Boiler supplier: Mitchell
T/G supplier: BBC, Siemens
Quick facts: Swanbank is located outside of Ipswich about 30min from Brisbane. The power plant was developed in sequence around the plant cooling lake. The A plant used to be supplied by the surrounding local mines. The plant was decommisioned in Aug 2005 and the 133m stacks were demolished on 20 Aug 2006. Swanbank B uses landfill gas and about 1mn tpy of black coal trucked and railed from mines in southeast Queensland.The B plant has been progressively decommissioned and the final coal delivery was made in May 2012. Ownership of Swanbank PS was transferred from CS Energy to Stanwell Corp on 1 Jul 2011, following a restructure of Queensland's government-owned electricity generators.The C plant CCGT block remains in operation.

Photograph courtesy of CS Energy
Posted 27 Jul 2001

Stanwell
Location: QLD
Operator: Stanwell Corp
Configuration: 4 X 365 MW
Fuel: subbituminous coal
Operation: 1993-1996
Boiler supplier: Babcock-Hitachi
T/G supplier: Hitachi
EPC: Queensland Electricity Commission, Babcock-Hitachi, Siemens
Quick facts: Stanwell Power PS is on a 1,600ha site 22km west of Rockhampton. At completion, this was one of the most highly-automated thermal power plants in the world with onty two staff on the back shift. In 2002, Unit-4 achieved a single-unit world record for continuous operation by generating for 1,073 continuous days. Fuel is about 4mn tpy of low-sulphur black coal railed in from various Central Queensland mines including Blackwater and Curragh about 200km west of the plant. The T/G sets and boilers were upgraded from 2008-2012. The stack is 210m tall and the cooling towers are 130m tall and 100m in diameter. The plant cost about A$1.6bn. A photo of Stanwell was featured as the prototype Power Plant Trading Card published in 1998.

Photograph courtesy of Stanwell Corp
Posted 27 May 2012

Tarong
Location: QLD
Operator: Stanwell Corp
Configuration: 4 X 350 MW
Fuel: subbituminous coal
Operation: 1984-1986
Boiler supplier: Babcock-Hitachi
T/G supplier: Hitachi
EPC: Queensland Electricity Board, Clyde Riley Dodds, Theiss Australia
Quick facts: Tarong PS is on a 1,500ha site near Nanango 180km west of Brisbane in the South Burnett region. The project was announced in Feb 1978, construction started in Dec 1979, and Unit-1 went commercial in May 1984. The plant cost A$1.2bn. The plant stack is 210m high and the twin hyperbolic natural-draft cooling towers are 118m high. Coal is delivered via a 1.5km conveyer from the adjacent Meandu Mine, which is also owned by Stanwell Corp.

Photograph courtesy of Tarong Energy
Posted 30 Jul 2011

 
Tarong North
Location: QLD
Operator: Stanwell Corp
Configuration: 1 X 450 MW
Fuel: subbituminous coal
Operation: 2003
Boiler supplier: IHI
T/G supplier: Toshiba
EPC: Pacific Power Internaional, Mowlem, Laing O'Rourke, Mitsui
Quick facts: This supercritical unit cost A$650mn. Tokyo Electric and Mitsui jointly established TM Energy (Australia) which secure a 20yr PPA with Tarong Energy. In 2011, Tarong Energy was merged into Stanwell Corp.

Photograph courtesy of Stanwell Corp
Posted 30 Jul 2011

Tennyson
Location: QLD
Operator: Brisbane City Council Dept of Electricity
Configuration: 2 X 5 MW, 4 X 30 MW, 2 X 60 MW
Fuel: subbituminous coal
Operation: 1952-1964 (ret 1986)
Boiler supplier: B&W, Dodds
T/G supplier: GE, Parsons, BBC
Quick facts: Tennyson PS was built on the southern bank of the Brisbane River on a site acquired by the Brisbane City Council around 1947. Coal was barged down the river from Ipswich. Construction by BCC employees began on the first stage in Jun 1949. Two packaged, oil-fired units were put online in 1952 as construction on the coal-fired units was delayed by lack of building materials.  The first 30-MW unit was finally commissioned in Mar 1955. BCC was dissolved in 1977 when South East Queensland Electricity Board (SEQEB) took over electricity distribution in the city.

Photograph courtesy of Queensland Energy Museum
Posted 18 Feb 2011

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 05-Jul-2014

Home