Coal-Fired Plants in Germany
Brandenburg & Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
Janschwalde
Location: BB
Operator: Vattenfall Europe AG
Configuration: 6 X 500 MW
Operation: 1981-1988
Fuel: lignite
Boiler supplier: De-Bau
T/G supplier: LMZ, Electrosila

Photograph courtesy of Vattenfall
Posted 2 Aug 2003

Rostock
Location: MV
Operator: KNG Kraftwerks- und Netzgesellschaft mbH
Configuration: 1 X 553 MW CHP
Operation: 1994
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: Borsig
T/G supplier: ABB
Quick facts: Construction began in Jun 1991 and commissioning began in Mar 1994 with commercial service in Oct. Exhaust gases are routed through the 142m cooling tower. KNG is owned by E.ON (45.7%), Vattenfall (25%), RWE (24.6%), and E.DIS (4.7%).

Photograph courtesy of KNG
Re-posted 21 Jul 2004

Schwarze Pumpe
Location: BB
Operator: Vattenfall Europe AG
Configuration: 2 X 800 MW
Operation: 1997-1998
Fuel: lignite
Boiler supplier: EVT
T/G supplier: Siemens
Quick facts: These large steam sets were important design precursors to later supercritical coal-fired units built in Europe.

Photograph courtesy of Vattenfall
Posted 2 Aug 2003

Schwarze Pumpe KW West, Mitte & Ost
Location: BB
Operator: Gaskombinat "Fritz Selbmann" Schwarze Pumpe
Configuration: West 4 X 25 MW, 3 X 50 MW,Mitte 6 X 50 MW, Ost-A 2 X 50 MW, Ost-B 4 X 100 MW, 1 x 12 MW CHP
Operation: 1959-1970 (ret 1990)
Fuel: lignite
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: Bergmann-Borsig
Quick facts: During the mid- to late 1950s, VEB Gaskombinat "Fritz Selbmann" Schwarze Pumpe (GKSP or GSP) built threee CHP plants known as West, Ost, and Mitte. These were estabished in the northern part of the GKSP site, a significant industrial complex with open-cut mines, syngas, coke, and briquette production works, and the power stations. GKSP was shutdown in 1990 following German reunification. Kraftwerk West, was the first to complete, then KW Mitte, then KW Ost.

Photograph by Eugen Nozko (wikimedia)
Posted 2 Feb 2013

Sonne
Location: BB
Operator: HKW Sonne GmbH & Co
Configuration: 3 X 20 MW, 1 X 6 MW
Operation: 1955-1961 (ret 1996?)
Fuel: lignite
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: ??
Quick facts: For over 100 years, the area around Freienhufen was a center of lignite mining. After the Second World War, the existing works were dismantled and moved to the Soviet Union as reparations. From 1952 to 1954, a new briquette factory was built and this was followed by a second works with a power station. The last briquette was pressed in 1997.

Photograph courtesy of ostkolhe
Posted 5 Sep 2005

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 02-Feb-2013

Home