Coal- and Lignite-Fired Plants in Romania
Arad-II
Location: Arad
Operator: SC CET Arad SA
Configuration: 2 X 50 MW CHP
Fuel: lignite, natural gas
Operation: 1993-1996
Boiler supplier: ICPET
T/G supplier: IMBG
EPC: Ansaldo
Quick facts: SC CET Arad is municipally-owned as of 2009. The company runs the city district heating system and related services.

Photograph courtesy of SC CET Arad SA
Posted 18 Jul 2013

Bacau
Location: Bacau
Operator: CET Bacau SA
Configuration: 1 X 60 MW CHP
Fuel: lignite, oil
Operation: 1998
Boiler supplier: Vulcan
T/G supplier: General Turbo
Quick facts: The investment decision for the Bacau CHP was made in 1984 and construction of the heating plants and networks got underway in 1989. CET Bacau began business operations on 1 Jun 2002 and from 2003-2005, the company gradually assumed complete control of the DHS in Bacau.

Photograph courtesy of CET Bacau SA
Posted 25 Jan 2009

Brasov
Location: Brasov
Operator: CET Brasov SA
Configuration: 2 X 50 MW CHP
Fuel: lignite, oil
Operation: 1990-1995
Boiler supplier: ICPET
T/G supplier: Resita, IMBG
EPC: Ansaldo
Quick facts: Design and implementation of this CHP began in 1983. The stack height is 280m.

Photograph courtesy of CET Brasov SA
Posted 18 Jan 2009

Craiova II
Location: Dolj
Operator: SC Craiova Energetic Complex SA
Configuration: 2 X 150 MW CHP
Fuel: lignite, natural gas
Operation: 1987-1988
Boiler supplier: ICPET
T/G supplier: IMBG
Quick facts: Until Craiova Energy was established n Apr 2004, the Isalnita and Craiova II power plants plus the Prigoria-Seciuri coal mine were affiliated with SC Electrocentrale Bucuresti SA.

Photograph courtesy of SC Electrocentrale Bucuresti SA
Posted 21 Aug 2003

Govora
Location: Valcea
Operator: CET Govora SA
Configuration: 4 X 50 MW CHP
Fuel: lignite, natural gas
Operation: 1975-1987
Boiler supplier: Vulcan
T/G supplier: Resita, IMBG
Quick facts: The first heating plant at Govora went online in 1959. The new operating company was formed in Dec 1997 as one of Romania's first first independent heat and power companies. In Jan 2005, the company began a 25yr concession with Baile Olanesti for both heating and water service. In Aug 2005, a similar arrangement was effected with Calimanesti.

Photograph courtesy of CET Govora SA
Posted 18 Jan 2009

Isalnita
Location: Dolj
Operator: SC Craiova Energetic Complex SA
Configuration: 2 X 315 MW CHP
Fuel: lignite, natural gas
Operation: 1987-1988
Boiler supplier: MAN
T/G supplier: Rateau, Alsthom
Quick facts: Four 50-MW sets and two 100-MW sets at Isalnita have been decommissioned.

Photograph courtesy of SC Craiova Energetic Complex SA
Posted 18 Jan 2009

Mintia-Deva
Location: Hunedoara
Operator: SC Complexul Energetic Hunedoara SA
Configuration: 6 X 210 MW CHP
Fuel: har coal, fuel oil, natural gas
Operation: 1969-1980
Boiler supplier: Podoloski
T/G supplier: LMZ, Electrosila
EPC: Energomontaj
Quick facts: This large TPP is on the River Mures 9km frm Deva City. Construction began in 1966. The plant is connected to the grid at 110-, 220-, and 400kV. Unit-3 was uprated in 2009 to 235 MW, Unit-1 was retired in 2012.

Photograph courtesy of SC Complexul Energetic Hunedoara SA
Posted 14 Aug 2013

Oradea
Location: Bihor
Operator: SC Electrocentrale Oradea SA
Configuration: 2 X 25 MW, 3 X 50 MW CHP
Fuel: lignite, fuel oil, natural gas
Operation: 1967-1989
Boiler supplier: Danubius, Brno
T/G supplier: Lang, Skoda, Resita, IMBG, Brno, Ganz
Quick facts: Oradea is the largest city in Bihor.

Photograph courtesy of bihorstiri.ro
Posted 27 Jul 2013

Paroşeni
Location: Hunedoara
Operator: SC Complexul Energetic Hunedoara SA
Configuration: 3 X 50 MW (ret), 1 X 150 MW CHP
Fuel: har coal, fuel oil, natural gas
Operation: 1956-1964
Boiler supplier: Podoloski
T/G supplier: LMZ, Kharkov, Electrosila
EPC: Energomontaj
Quick facts: Coal mining in the Jiu Valley began around 1848 and the first 100-kW set at the Vulcan coal-fired power stations began operations in 1900. The mine-moth Paroşeni plant began construction in 1953 and the first set commissioned in 1956 along with a 110kV OHL to Men. Unit-4 was the first 150-MW unit in Romania and Paroşeni became the first 300-MW plant in Romania when it commissioned in 1964. In 1989, Unit-4 was converted to CHP operation and the unit was rebuilt from 2004-2007 by a consortium of Itochu, Hitachi, and Toshiba at a cost of $135mn..

Photograph courtesy of SC Complexul Energetic Hunedoara SA
Posted 14 Aug 2013

Romag-Termo
Location: Mehedinti
Operator: RAAN - Regia Autonoma Pentru Activitati Nucleare
Configuration: 4 X 50 MW, 1 X 25 MW
Fuel: lignite, oil
Operation: 1986-1988
Boiler supplier: ICPET
T/G supplier: IMBG
Quick facts: This CHP plant supplies electricity to the RAAN heavy-water plant. A new 22-MW unit is being added.

Photograph courtesy of SC Concelex srl
Posted 11 Apr 2007

Rovinari
Location: Gorj
Operator: SC Complexul Energetic Rovinari SA
Configuration: 2 X 200 MW, 4 X 330 MW
Fuel: subbituminous coal, natural gas, oil
Operation: 1976-1979
Boiler supplier: Tlmace, ICPET
T/G supplier: Skoda, Rateau, Alsthom, IMGB
Quick facts: Rovinari is in Gorj County on the Jiu River near Târgu Jiu. The 200-MW sets have been decommissioned.

Photograph by Christian Chirita (wikipedia)
Posted 17 Jan 2009

Turceni
Location: Gorj
Operator: SC Termoelectrica SA
Configuration: 7 X 330 MW
Fuel: lignite
Operation: 1976-1979
Boiler supplier: ICPET
T/G supplier: IMGB
Quick facts: Although one set is deactivated, this remains the largest thermal power plant in Romania. The 1,293ha site is situated half-way between the cities of Craiova and Targu Jiu in southwest Romania. Turceni is essentially a minemouth plant with lignite supplied by rail from mines around 35km away. The plant has four 400kV lines connecting to Tantareni Substation.

Photograph by Christian Chirita (wikipedia)
Posted 17 Jan 2009

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 14-Aug-2013

Home