Coal-Fired Power Plants in East England &
the Midlands
Cliff Quay
Location: Suffolk
Operator: Central Electricity Generating Board
Configuration: 6 X 46 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1949-1952 (ret 1985)
Boiler supplier: BPL
T/G supplier: MV
Quick facts: Cliff Quay was demolished in Nov 1994.

Photograph by Keith Evans (geograph)
Posted 22 Jun 2008
Cottam
Location: Nottinghamshire
Operator: EDF Energy
Configuration: 4 X 500 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal, biomass
Operation: 1969-1970
Boiler supplier: John Thompson
T/G supplier: EE
Quick facts: Cottam is on a 620ac site on the west bank of the River Trent, 8mi from the market town of Retford. At the end of Dec 2000, Powergen closed on the sale of Cottam to London Electricity for $593.5mn cash. In Dec 2002, RWE Industrie-Losungen GmbH from Duisburg, Germany, signed the first of two contracts for the installation of Thyssen wet limestone FGD systems at Cottam. Two of the four systems came online during 2005, the third in 2006, and the final unit in Oct 2007. The FGD project cost £108mn. 25ha of short rotation coppice (SRC) willow has been planted on Strawson’s Knightwood Trust Farms in fields directly adjacent to the power station. In three years time, the willow will be harvested into a carbon neutral wood chip and supplied as Koolfuel for co-firing with coal.

Photograph courtesy of EDF
Re-posted 12 Mar 2014

Drakelow-C
Location: Staffordshire
Operator: PowerGen plc
Configuration: 2 X 350 MW, 1 X 375 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal, natural gas
Operation: 1965-1967 (ret 2003)
Boiler supplier: John Thompson, ICL
T/G supplier: EE, AEI
Quick facts: Drakelow C12 was the only supercritical generating unit ever built in the UK. At one time, the Drakelow A, B and C plants comprised the largest power station in Europe.

Photograph by Christopher Bell
Posted 16 Apr 2003

High Marnham
Location: Nottinghamshire
Operator: PowerGen plc
Configuration: 5 X 200 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1959-1962 (ret 2003)
Boiler supplier: ICL
T/G supplier: EE

Photograph by Christopher Bell
Posted 9 Feb 2003

Ironbridge-A
Location: Shropshire
Operator: Central Electricity Generating Board
Configuration: 4 X 50 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1932-1939 (ret)
Boiler supplier: Stirling Boiler
T/G supplier: BTH
Quick facts: Ironbridge was selected as a site for a "super station" by the West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority, in Feb 1927 due to the close proximity of the River Severn and the railway line, being adjacent to Buildwas Station. Power plant construction began in 1929 and the station was fully commissioned 10yrs later. The "A" plant was closed in 1980/81 and mostly demolished in 1983.

Photograph courtesy of www.geograph.org.uk
Posted 8 Feb 2014

Ironbridge-B
Location: Shropshire
Operator: E.ON UK plc
Configuration: 2 X 500 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal wood pellets
Operation: 1970
Boiler supplier: Foser Wheeler, John Brown
T/G supplier: AEI
EPC: Rendel
Quick facts: This power station is in the Severn Gorge just upstream from Ironbridge Gorge, a World Heritage Site and the 205m stack and pink cooling towers are long-time local landmarks.The "B" plant was opted out of the LCPD and converted to wood pellet fuel in 2013. On 4 Feb 2014, a fire broke out in the Unit-1 turbine and the damage proved so extensive that E.ON judged it unconomic to repair. The unit was therefore retired in May 2014.

Photograph courtesy of E.ON UK
Posted 28 Dec 2006

Meaford-B
Location: Staffordshire
Operator: Central Electricity Generating Board
Configuration: 4 X 60 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1955-1957 (ret)
Boiler supplier: BPL
T/G supplier: BTH

Quick facts: Meaford was built on the River Trent near Stone.This aerial was taken in Jun 1956 during construction. Production began in Dec 1955 and the station was formally opened on 4 Oct 1957. The single stack was 124m tall. The plant transferred to National Power in Mar 1990 and production stopped on 28 Sep 1990 when the onsite coal supply was exhausted. The power station was demolished in 1996.

Photograph by Aero Pictorial Ltd and courtesy of Staffordshire Museum Service
Posted 18 Sep 2013

Ratcliffe
Location: Nottinghamshire
Operator: E.ON UK plc
Configuration: 4 X 500 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1968-1970
Boiler supplier: BPL
T/G supplier: Parsons
Quick facts: Ratcliffe was retrofit with FGD and Boosted Over Fire Air (BOFA) systems and new HP turbines. On 11 Feb 2006, Ratcliffe-1 became the first 500-MW set in the UK to pass 250,000 running hours and on the night of 15-16 Nov 2007, Ratcliffe became the first coal-fired UK power plant to exceed 1m running hours, the equivalent of 28yrs of continuous operation. The station has the first retrofit SCR systems in the UK, supplied by Doosan Babcock and commissioned from 2011-14.

Photograph courtesy of E.ON UK
Re-posted 28 Dec 2006

Rugeley-B
Location: Staffordshire
Operator: International Power plc
Configuration: 2 X 500 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1970
Boiler supplier: Foster Wheeler, John Brown
T/G supplier: Parsons
Quick facts: In Jun 2001, International Power bought Rugeley from TXU Europe for £200mn. The station was granted Section 36 consent to add FGD in early 2004 and the new Lurgi FGD systems went online in Jun 2009. The B station is directly connected to the UK 400kV grid. In Jun 20007, Mitsui & Co acquired a minority stake in Rugeley-B.

Photograph by marttih (panoramio)
Posted 23 May 2009

Staythorpe-A
Location: Nottinghamshire
Operator: National Power plc
Configuration: 6 X 60 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1950-1953 (ret 1989)
Boiler supplier: Babcock Power
T/G supplier: BTH
EPC: Balfour Beatty
Quick facts: Development of the Staythorpe site started in 1946.

Photograph courtesy of Balfour Beatty
Posted 16 Dec 2006

Staythorpe-B
Location: Nottinghamshire
Operator: National Power plc
Configuration: 3 X 120 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1960-1961 (ret 1996)
Boiler supplier: JBE
T/G supplier: MV
EPC: Balfour Beatty

Photograph courtesy of meke (flickr)
Posted 8 Dec 2010

Tilbury-B
Location: Essex
Operator: RWE npower
Configuration: 4 X 350 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal, biomass
Operation: 1968-1972 (ret)
Boiler supplier: FW, JBE
T/G supplier: GEC
EPC: Kier
Quick facts: Originally an oil-fired station, the plant was converted to low-sulfur coal, then to co-firing with biomass. Three units were finally converted to biomass exclusively from 2011, and Tilbury threeby became the world's largest biomass power station. The fuel was wood pellets, mostly from Georgia, USA, and BC, Canada. On 27 Feb 2012 there was a major fuel fire at Tilbury which closed the plant unitl Jun 2012 when the first unit came back online. After running out of the 20,000 operating hours assigned in 2008 as part of the EU Lage Combustion Plant DIrective , Tilbury was closed on 13 Aug 2013.

Photograph by Peter Henderson and courtesy of PISCES Conservation Ltd
Posted 16 Jun 2004

   
West Burton
Location: Nottinghamshire
Operator: EDF Energy
Configuration: 4 X 500 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1967-1968
Boiler supplier: ICL
T/G supplier: EE
Quick facts: In Jun 2000, work got underway on a £100mn FGD retrofit project at West Burton. The turnkey contractor for the installation of the MHI wet limestone systems was FLS Miljo. Contractors Arup Energy and Mowlem formed a design-build partnership to undertake civil works and related infrastructure. The total project was completed in the fall of 2003. SOFA firing systems are being installed on all four units and will be completed by 2008. In July 2004, GE Energy was awarded one of the first contracts in the EU to help meet the lowered NOx emission limits set by the EU Large Combustion Plant Directive for 2008. The target limit for the new installations is 400 mg/m3 for a broad range of coals, 100mg/m3 lower than the 2008 limit. GE installed separated over-fire air (SOFA) systems with triple-compartment over-fire air nozzles installed on the furnace corners and side walls.

Photograph courtesy of London Electricity
Posted 25 Apr 2003

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 27-Aug-2014

Home