Coal-Fired Power Plants in England - North
Blyth
Location: Northumberland
Operator: National Power plc
Configuration: 4 X 120 MW, 2 X 260 MW, 2 X 330 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal, anthracite
Operation: 1958-1962 (ret 1991-2000)
Boiler supplier: BPL, Yarrow, CCL
T/G supplier: MV, EE
Quick facts: This was the largest power station in England from 1962 until the completion of Ferrybridge C2&C3 in 1967. Blyth was demolished in Dec 2003.

Photograph courtesy of National Power
Posted 30 Jan 2001

Eggborough
Location: Yorkshire
Operator: British Energy plc
Configuration: 4 X 500 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1968-1969
Boiler supplier: FW, JBE
T/G supplier: AEI
Quick facts: Construction on this PS began in early 1962 and the first unit was connected in Feb 1967. In early Mar 2000, British Energy acquired Eggborough from National Power for 615mn. In Jan 2009, British Energy was bought by EDF Energy and, as part of that purchase process, Eggborough became an independent business on 1 Apr 2010. On 1 Sep 2005, retrofit FGD systems on Units 3&4 were handed over to operators. The wet limestone scrubbers were supplied by a JV of MHI and FLS and with CB&I John Brown providing project management and related technical services. Other contractors were Arup Energy, Balfour Beatty, and Mowlem. The project cost was approximately 60mn. In Nov 2013, the station reached 1mn running hours.

Photograph courtesy of British Energy
Re-posted 1 Jan 2007

Ferrybridge-A
Location: Yorkshire
Operator: CEGB
Configuration: ??
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1927-?? (ret 1957)
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: ??
Quick facts: This photo shows the Ferrybridge-A boiler and turbine Hall, which was converted by the CEGB into offices and engineering workshops.

Photograph by Christopher Bell
Posted 23 May 2009

Ferrybridge-C
Location: Yorkshire
Operator: Scottish and Southern Energy
Configuration: 4 X 500 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1966-1968
Boiler supplier: BPL
T/G supplier: Parsons
Quick facts: This was the first 2-GW power station in Europe and the largest in England for several years in the late 1960s. Built and run by the CEGB, Ferrybridge-C and Fiddlers Ferry were sold to Edison Mission Energy in 1999, sold on to AEP, sold to AEP Energy Services in Dec 2001, and sold on to Scottish and Southern in Jul 2004 for 136mn. All four boilers were retrofit with Low-Nox burners and Units 3&4 were then retrofit with wet FGD systems from Lurgi The stacks are 198m and the cooling towers are 115m tall, making them among the largest in Europe.

Photograph by Christopher Bell
Posted 23 May 2009

Fiddler's Ferry
Location: Cheshire
Operator: Scottish and Southern Energy
Configuration: 4 X 500 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1971-1973
Boiler supplier: ICL
T/G supplier: EE
Quick facts: Fiddlers Ferry was acquired from PowerGen by Edison Mission in Jul 1999, sold to AEP Energy Services in Dec 2001, and sold on to Scottish and Southern in Jul 2004. The plant was retrofit with Lurgi wet limestone FGD kit and the project completed in 2009.

Photograph by Alan Godfree (wikimedia)
Reposted 30 Aug 2014

Lynemouth
Location: Northumberland
Operator: Alcan Smelting & Power UK
Configuration: 3 X 140 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1972
Boiler supplier: ICL
T/G supplier: Parsons
Quick facts: This power station provides electricity to an adjacent Alcan aluminium smelter and is supplied from local coal mines. A rail line connects the smelter to Blythe port about 6km south of the Alcan works.

Photograph by Christopher Bell
Posted 30 May 2008

Stella North
Location: Northumberland
Operator: National Power plc
Configuration: 4 X 60 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1955-1956 (ret 1991)
Boiler supplier: CCL
T/G supplier: Parsons
EPC: L J Couves & Partners, Sir Robert McAlpine & Sons, Cleveland Bridge Co, Davenport Engineering Co, Aiton Co
Quuck facts: Stella North and Stella South stood on either side of a bend of the River Tyne, the former near Lemington in Newcastle, and the latter near Blaydon in Gateshead.

Photograph by Christopher Bell
Posted 30 Dec 2003

Stella South
Location: Northumberland
Operator: National Power plc
Configuration: 5 X 60 MW
Fuel: bituminous coal
Operation: 1954-1956 (ret 1991)
Boiler supplier: CCL
T/G supplier: Parsons

Photograph by Christopher Bell
Posted 6 Jun 2004

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 30-Aug-2014

Home