Coal-Fired Plants in Ukraine
Burshtynskaya
Location: Ivano-Frankivsk
Operator: DTEK Zakhidenergo
Configuration: 12 X 200 MW
Operation: 1965-1969
Fuel: coal, natural gas, fuel oil
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: LMZ, SE Plant Electrotyazhmash
EPC: Pivdenteploenergomontazh
Quick facts: This TPP is located at the intersection of power lines connecting to Hungary, Romania, and Slovakia. It has a cooling reservoir built on the River Lipa.

Photograph courtesy of DTEK
Posted 13 Aug 2014

Kramatorskaya 3&4
Location: Donetsk
Operator: JSC Kramatorskteploenergo
Configuration: 2 X 60 MW
Operation: 1974-1978
Fuel: coal
Boiler supplier: Barnaul
T/G supplier: ??
EPC: Teploelektroproekt Kharkov Branch, Pivdenteploenergomontazh
Quick facts: This plant was originally founded in 1937. Two 25-MW sets were closed The operating company is owned by the city and ContourGlobal. The plant was modernized from 2007-2009.

Photograph by Artemka (Wikipedia)
Posted 13 Aug 2014

Kryvorizka
Location: Dnepropetrovsk
Operator: DTEK Dneproenergo
Configuration: 10 X 300 MW
Operation: 1965-1973
Fuel: subbituminous coal, natural gas, oil
Boiler supplier: Podolosk, Taganrog
T/G supplier: Kharkov, SE Plant Electrotyazhmash
EPC: Teploelektroproekt Kharkov Branch, Pivdenteploenergomontazh
Quick facts: Reconstruction of Kryvorizka Unit-1 is in planning.

Photograph courtesy of DTEK
Posted 13 Aug 2014

Kurakhovskaya
Location: Donetsk
Operator: DTEK Vostokenergo
Configuration: 1 X 200 MW, 5 X 210 MW, 1 X 221 MW
Operation: 1972-1975
Fuel: subbituminous coal
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: LMZ, SE Plant Electrotyazhmash
EPC: Teploelektroproekt Kharkov Branch
Quick facts: The first plant at this site on the Volchya River began construction in 1936 by Donenergo and a 50-MW unit srated up on 6 Jul 1941. This plant was ruined during World War II and partially rebuilt after the war. In August 1965, the USSR Ministry of Fuel and Energy decided on a replacement plant which began operation 7yrs later. The plant and the Lugansk and Zuevsk plants were privatized in Apr 2002. Unit-5 was re-constructed and up-rated in 2008.

Photograph courtesy of DTEK
Posted 30 Jul 2009

Kyiv-4 (Darnytska)
Location: Kyiv
Operator: DARTeplosentral
Configuration: 4 X 25 MW ( ret 1986), 3 X 60 MW CHP
Operation: 1952-1958
Fuel: anthracite
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: TMZ
Quick facts: This plant also has for peaking hotwater boilers. In 1997, a 51% stake in the company was acquired by Northland Power with the balance held by the state property fund and individual shareholders. In May 2006, the plant was taken over by authorities and now operates as a separate heating company serving part of the Kyiv metro area.

Photograph by Vasyl Tkach (Panoramio)
Posted 2 Feb 2013

Luganskayaskaya
Location: Donetsk
Operator: DTEK Vostokenergo
Configuration: 1 X 100 MW, 3 X 175 MW, 4 X 200 MW
Operation: 1957-1965
Fuel: subbituminous coal, natural gas, oil
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: LMZ, SE Plant Electrotyazhmash
EPC: Teploelektroproekt Kharkov Branch
Quick facts: Construction on the Lugansk plant started in Apr 1950 and the first unit started-up in Sep 1956. Two units were conected to the regional 110kV network by the end of the year. In 1957, four sets were completed, a notable accomplishment. By 1958, installed capacity was 700 MW making this the largest thermal power plant in the Soviet Union. Several of the oldest sets have been retired.

Photograph courtesy of DTEK
Posted 30 Jul 2009

Mironovskaya
Location: Donetsk
Operator: Donbassenergo
Configuration:1 X 600 MW, 1 X 100 MW, 1 X 115 MW
Operation: 1953-1957
Fuel: bituminous coal, natural gas, oil
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: LMZ
Quick facts: The plant held its 60th Anniversary celebration on 26 Oct 2013. It wa the first post-War TPP In Ukraine built to a modern standard designOnly one unit at this plant is still in regular operation. One of its associated boiler was rebuilt and recommissione din Dec 2013. The T/G rating wsa increased to 115 MW. The plant held its 60th Anniversary celebration on 26 Oct 2013.

Photograph courtesy of DTEK
Posted 13 Aug 2014

Prydniprovska
Location: Dnepropetrovsk
Operator: Donbassenergo
Configuration:6 X 100 MW (ret), 4 X 150 MW, 4 X 300 MW CHP
Operation: 1957-1969
Fuel: bituminous coal, natural gas, oil
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: Kharkov, SEP-ELEC
Quick facts: This TPP was approved in Dec 1950 and construction began in 1952. The first six units were complete by 1956. These are now closed. The site is on the left bank of the Dnieper. Unit-11 was rebuilt in 2001.

Photograph courtesy of DTEK
Posted 13 Aug 2014

Slavyansk
Location: Donetsk
Operator: Donbassenergo
Configuration: 5 X 100 MW, 2 X 800 MW
Operation: 1954-1971
Fuel: coal, natural gas, oil
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: LMZ, Electrosila
EPC: Teploelektroproekt Kharkov Branch
Quick facts: This power station is in Nikolaevka district of Slavyansk city. It was developed in two phases, five 100-MW sets followed by a pair of 800-MW units.Unit-6 came online in 1967 and was the first superciritcal unit in Europe or Russia with steam conditions of 240 atm/560/565°C. At the monment, only two of the 100-MW units and one 800-MW unit are in service.

Photograph by Artemka (wikipedia)
Posted 17 Jun 2012

 
Zueyskaya ETETS
Location: Donetsk
Operator: SE Zueyskaya ETETS
Configuration: 1 X 12 MW CHP
Operation: 2014
Fuel: coal, natural gas, oil
Boiler supplier: Barnaul
T/G supplier: ??
Quick facts: This PS was announced in 1929 and the first 150 MW was put online in 1932 . A 100-MW set was added in 1939 making it the largest thermal plant in the USSR, providing nearly half the electricity in the Donbass. The site was deconstructed prior to 2yrs occupaton by German troops during the Seond World War. It was partially demolished during the German retreat. The plant was rebuilt and restarted beginning in Jan 1944 and the pre-War 250 MW of capacity was fully recovered by Jun 1946. The old generating equipment was closed in 1974 and the site converted into a power engineering research facility. This was de-funded after the fall of the Soviet Union. Around 1977, a single 12-MW CHP unit was installed for local power and heating service. This remained in operation until the mid-1990s and the facility went into heat-only operation. In 2014, a new 12-MW set was again installed for local CHP service.

Photograph by Anatoly and Lyudmila Grishakova (wikipedia)
Posted 6 Feb 2016

Zueyskaya
Location: Donetsk
Operator: DTEK Vostokenergo
Configuration: 3 X 300 MW, 1 X 320 MW
Operation: 1982-1988
Fuel: subbituminous coal, natural gas, oil
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: LMZ, SE Plant Electrotyazhmash
EPC: Teploelektroproekt Kharkov Branch
Quick facts: In 1932, the first plant at this site was commissioned and in time became one of the largest plants in the USSR. It was decommissioned in 1977 and served as a testing facility for electric power engineering. The plant was designed for eight 300-MW sets but in the event, only four supercritical units were completed. Delays in cooling tower completion led to the first two units being commissioned with spray ponds. Construction started on 7 Jul 1975 and Unit-1 reached full capacity on 24 Mar 1982. The 330m stack is the tallest structure in Ukraine.

Photograph courtesy of DTEK
Posted 30 Jul 2009

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 06-Feb-2016

Home