Other Steam-Electric Plants in Austria
Korneuburg
Location: NOE
Operator: Verbund-ATP
Configuration: 1 X 80 MW, 1 X 285 MW CHP
Operation: 1962-1974
Fuel: natural gas
Boiler supplier: SGP, EVT
T/G supplier: BBC, Elin
Quick facts: In 1959/60, one of the first combined-cycle power plants in the world was commissioned at Korneuburg.

Photograph courtesy of EVN AG
Posted 12 Nov 2006

Simmering
Location: Wien
Operator: Wienstrom
Configuration: 1 X 377 MW, 1 X 355 MW steam, 1 X 65 MW, 1 X 82 MW gas turbines
Operation: 1978-1992
Fuel: natural gas, oil
Boiler supplier: SGP, Biro
T/G supplier: Siemens, Elin
Quick facts: The first generating units at Simmering went online in 1906. The two steam blocks have topping gas turbines.

Photograph courtesy of Wienstrom
Posted 15 Dec 2004

Theiss
Location: NOE
Operator: EVN AG
Configuration: 1 X 162 MW, 1 X 250 MW CHP
Operation: 1974-2000
Fuel: oil, natural gas
Boiler supplier: Biro, EVT
T/G supplier: MAN, Elin
Quick facts: From 1998-2000, Block B was repowered by the addition of a 180-MW Siemens V94.3A topping gas turbine. The stack is 135m tall.

Photograph courtesy of EVN AG
Posted 11 Nov 2006

 
Weitendorf Compressor
Location: STM
Operator: OMV Gas & Power
Configuration: 1 X 16 MW CHP
Operation: 2011
Fuel: waste heat
HRSG supplier: Küttner Energy
T/G supplier: Kanis, Elin
EPC: Küttner Energy
Quick facts: This plant was constructed at Weitendorf gas compressor station on the TAG natural gas pipeline supplying Austria and Italy. An HRSG was erected behind three GE Nuovo Pignone PGT-25 gas compressors, along with an air-cooled condenser and other infrastructure. Around 130 suppliers were utilized for the project, which was the first of its kind in the EU.

Photograph courtesy of OMV
Posted 14 Jul 2012

Werndorf-Neudorf
Location: STM
Operator: Verbund-ATP
Configuration: 1 X 120 MW, 1 X 175 MW CHP
Operation: 1968-1975 (ret)
Fuel: heavy oil, natural gas
Boiler supplier: Biro
T/G supplier: Escher Wyss, BBC, Oerlikon, Elin
EPC: STEWEAG
Quick facts: This CHP plant near the Mur River plant was built by STEWEAG for heating service and to cover the winter electricity load. Ferdinand Schuster was selected as the plant architect. The plant build decision was reached in Sep 1966 and Unit-1 commissioned in Oct 1968, running baseload in the early years. Work on the second block was authorized in Nov 1971, construction started in 1972, and completed in Sep 1975. Natual gas supply to the site bgan in 1978. The units were progressively equipped with new APCS during their operating lifetime. Werndorf-Neudorf was finally closed at the end of 2014.

Photograph courtesy of Verbund AG
Re-posted 21 Feb 2015

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 05-Mar-2015

Home