Gas- and Oil-Fired Plants in Kazakhstan
Almaty-1 No 8-10
Location: Kazakhstan
Operator: JSC Almaty Power Stations
Configuration: 1 X 25 MW, 2 X 60 MW CHP
Fuel: fuel oil, natural gas
Operation: 1960-1971
Boiler supplier: Barnaul, Taganrog
T/G supplier: Kharkov, LMZ, NTGZ
Quick facts: Engineering for this station began in 1931 and the first generator went online on 25 Oct 1935. Three boilers and three turbines were installed by 1940. Another two turbines and a boiler were commissioned prior to 1946 completing first phase development. Second phase development began with the completion of two boilers and 6.3-MW Turbine No 6 in 1954. Another boiler and 12-MW Turbine-7 went online in 1957. Heating service began in Q4, 1961 and two cogen sets were installed around 1970. All the old equipment was retired in 2000. The PS began operating as part of Almaty Power Stations in Feb 2007.

Photograph courtesy of JSC Almaty Power Stations
Posted 31 Jan 2016

Almaty-3
Location: Kazakhstan
Operator: JSC Almaty Power Stations
Configuration: 1 X 50 MW, 3 X 41 MW CHP
Fuel: fuel oil, natural gas
Operation: 1960-1971
Boiler supplier: Barnaul, Taganrog
T/G supplier: LMZ, NTGZ
Quick facts: The Alma-Ata State District Power Plant (now CHP Plant 3) was approved for development at 100 MW on 9 Dec 1959. Construction started and a 50-MW set was commissioned in Mar 1962. Two months later, an expansion to 200 MW was approved and three new sets were finished by 1965. Units 1-3 have been rebuilt. The PS began operating as part of Almaty Power Stations in Feb 2007.

Photograph courtesy of JSC Almaty Power Stations
Posted 31 Jan 2016

Atyrau Cogen
Location: Kazakhstan
Operator: OJSC Atyrau TETS
Configuration: 300 MW
Fuel: natural gas
Operation: 1963-2009
Boiler supplier: Barnaul, Taganrog
T/G supplier: Kharkov, Kaluga, LMZ, NTGZ
Quick facts: This PS in Atyrau (formerly Guryev) was developed to serve increased heat and power load for oil and petrochemical industries and residential sectors in the city. In 1963, the two 12-MW sets were commissioned making the plant the first high-pressure power station in the region. By 1970, a second phase brought capacity to 134 MW and by 1980, installed capacity was 249 MW with seven T/G sets and nine boilers. The plant was converted to natural gas from HFO in 1991 and privatized in 1997. In 2007, work on Phase-IV began and this resulted in three new 25 MW sets and two new boilers along with new switchgear and other electrical works.

Photograph courtesy of inform.kz
Posted 23 Jan 2016

   
MAEK-3
Location: Kazakhstan
Operator: MAEK-Kazatomprom LLP
Configuration: 3 X 210 MW
Fuel: natural gas
Operation: 1983-1990
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: LMZ, SE Plant Electrotyazhmash
Quick facts: MAEK-Kazatomprom resulted from the acquisition of the former Mangistauski Nuclear Power Combine (MAEK) which includes three thermal power stations, the retired NPP, and a desalination plant along with related equipment and installations. The company is a 100% subsidiary of Kazatomprom and supplies heat, electricity, and potable water for the Aktau and Mangistau regions.

Photograph courtesy of MAEK-Kazatomprom LLP
Posted 10 Jun 2009

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 31-Jan-2016

Home