Gas- and Oil-Fired Plants in Russia - Central FD
Belgorod
Location: Belgorod
Operator: Heat Energy Co
Configuration: 4 X 6 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas
Operation: 1951-1957
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: ??
Quick facts: Two 33-MW gas turbines were added to this CHP plant.

Photograph courtesy of Heat Energy Co
Posted 3 Sep 2006

Diaghilevskaya
Location: Ryazan
Operator: Quadra (TGC-04)
Configuration: 3 X 12 MW, 1 X 60 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas, oil
Operation: 1958-1977
Boiler supplier: Barnaul
T/G supplier: Brno, LMZ
Quick facts: This plant started operation as an industrial CHP plant for the Tyazhpressmash heavy machinery works and Unit-1 went online on 28 Apr 1958. The power station became an independent operation in 1959. It started on brown coal, switched to fuel oil in 1967, and to natural gas in 1989.

Photograph courtesy of Quadra
Posted 10 Feb 2013

Guba
Location: Belgorod
Operator: Heat Energy Co
Configuration: 46 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas, coal
Operation: 1953
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: ??
EPC: Teploelektroproekt Institute

Photograph courtesy of Heat Energy Co
Posted 3 Sep 2006

Konakovo GRES
Location: Tver
Operator: Konakovo GRES
Configuration: 8 X 300 MW
Fuel: natural gas, oil
Operation: 1965-1969
Boiler supplier: Podolski
T/G supplier: LMZ
Quick facts: At completion, this was the largest power plant in Europe. Supercritical units.

Photograph courtesy of Konakovo GRES
Posted 4 Jun 2006

Kostroma
Location: Kostroma
Operator: JSC INTER RAO UES
Configuration: 8 X 300 MW, 1 X 1,200 MW
Operation: 1969-1980
Fuel: natural gas, fuel oil
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: LMZ, Electrosila
Quick facts: Kostroma TPP in Volgorechensk is the third largest thermal power plant in Russia by installed capacity. Unit-9 is the largest single generating unit in Russia. Its stack is 320m tall.

Photograph courtesy of JSC INTER RAO UES
Re-posted 4 Nov 2012

Kursk-1
Location: Kursk
Operator: Kursk Generation Co
Configuration: 2 X 25 MW, 1 X 100 MW, 1 X 50 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas
Operation: 1955-??
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: ??
Quick facts: The construction decision for Kursk-1 was made in Jun 1949.

Photograph courtesy of Kursk Generation Co
Posted 3 Sep 2006

Kursk-4
Location: Kursk
Operator: Kursk Generation Co
Configuration: 1 X 2.5 MW, 1 X 3 MW, 1 X 6 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas
Operation: 1934-??
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: ??
Quick facts: This site was first developed for energy production with Belgian capital in 1902 and by 1917, 600 kW of capacity was installed. The plant was damaged during the Russian Civil War and rebuilt in the early 1920s. A new area close by was then started-up in 1934. The plant is now essentially heat-only.

Photograph courtesy of Kursk Generation Co
Posted 3 Sep 2006

Novomoskovskaya
Location: Tula
Operator: Quadra (TGC-04)
Configuration: 2 X 100 MW, 2 X 15 MW, 1 X 20 MW, 1 X 32 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas
Operation: 1942-1976
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: TMZ, LMZ, Electrosila
EPC: ZAO Energokaskad, Tsentroenergomontazh
Quick facts: The site was opened in 1935 with a lignite-fired generators. and by 1940, capacity was 350 MW and it was one of the largest thermal PS in Europe. After the Second World War, the plant, then called Stalinogorsk ,was rapidly repaired and a 100-MW turboset was commissioned in 1946, one of the largest hydrogen-cooled machines built to that date. A second set followed in 1948 and Novomoskovskaya became the largest thermal plant in the USSR. The boilers were converted to natural gas in the 1960s.

Photograph courtesy of novomoskovsk.3goroda.ru
Posted 29 Jun 2013

Pervomayskaya
Location: Tula
Operator: OAO UCC Shchekinoazot
Configuration: 5 X 25 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas
Operation: 1953-1966
Boiler supplier: Barnaul
T/G supplier: LMZ
Quick facts: In Dec 2010, Quadra sold its Pervomayskaya conventional CHP plant in Shchekino district to Gazprom Leasing for Ru1.14bn. The plant was then transferred to OAO UCC Shchekinoazot, a major petrochem manufacturer with production operations in the immediate vicinity. A Ru190mn plant overhaul was completed in 2012. The first two units went online in 1954 firing coal and the plant had the first rotary car dumper built in the USSR. The plant was fully converted to natural gas firing in 1967.

Photograph courtesy of OAO UCC Shchekinoazot
Posted 16 Apr 2014

Ryazan
Location: Ryazan
Operator: OGK-6
Configuration: 4 X 300 MW, 2 X 800 MW
Operation: 1973-1981
Fuel: natural gas, brown coal, oil
Boiler supplier: Podolski, Taganrog
T/G supplier: LMZ, Electrosila
Quick facts:Ryazan is 80km south of Ryazan City and uses a reservoir on the Prony River for cooling. Construction began in 1968 and Units 1&2 went online in Dec 1973. The taller stack is 320m tall, the second only slightly shorter.

Photograph by Bafst (Panoramio)
Re-posted 4 Mar 2014

Smolensk
Location: Smolensk
Operator: E.ON Russia
Configuration: 3 X 210 MW
Operation: 1977-1983
Fuel: natural gas
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: Kharkov

Photograph courtesy of WGC-4
Posted 22 Aug 2006

Tver-3
Location: Tver
Operator: Tver Generation Co
Configuration: 4 X 25 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas, peat
Operation: 1954-1971
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: TMZ

Photograph courtesy of IDGC
Posted 19 May 2007

Yaroslavl-2
Location: Yaroslav
Operator: TGK-2
Configuration: 2 X 25 MW, 2 X 50 MW, 1 X 65 MW, 1 X 115 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas, coal, oil
Operation: 1955-2007
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: TMZ

Photograph courtesy of TGK-2
Posted 18 Apr 2010

Yaroslavl-3
Location: Yaroslav
Operator: TGK-2
Configuration: 320 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas, oil
Operation: 1961-1970
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: ??
Quick facts: On 11 Oct 2006, Yaroslavl TPP-3 celebrated its 45th Anniversary. Construction of the plant began in 1958, and the last of six turbines was put into operation 12yrs later. TPP-3 provides thermal and electrical energy to an oil refinery.

Photograph courtesy of TGK-2
Posted 18 Apr 2010

Yefremovskaya
Location: Tula
Operator: Quadra (TGC-04)
Configuration: 2 X 6 MW (ret), 2 X 25 MW, 2 X 50 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas
Operation: 1963-1978
Boiler supplier: Barnaul
T/G supplier: TMZ, LMZ, SE Plant Electrotyazhmash
EPC: ZAO Energokaskad, Tsentroenergomontazh
Quick facts: The site was opened in 1933 with a single 7.5-MW T/G set serving a local synthetic rubber plant and an industrial alcohol plant. A 4-MW set was added before the Second World War. Both machines were removed to Orenburg and the building was destroyed by Nazi troops. Rebuilding stared with a 6-MW set online in 1946. A similar machie was added in 1953 and in the early 1960s, the plant was put under Tulenergo. The second phase started construction in 1963. The 180m stack was added with Unit-6. An 80th annivrsary celebration for Yefremovskaya was held on 8 Apr 2013.

Photograph courtesy of novomoskovsk.3goroda.ru
Posted 29 Jun 2013

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 16-Apr-2014

Home