Other Steam-Electric Plants in the USA -
Maryland, Pennsylvania & Washington DC
Archbald
Location: PA
Operator: PEI Power
Configuration: 1 X 23 MW cogen
Operation: 1990
Fuel: natural gas, landfill gas
Boiler supplier: RS, Vereinigte Kesselwerke AG
T/G supplier: Dresser
Quick facts: The plant was designed by Riley Stoker Corp and modified by VKW. It was first operated by Archbald Power Corp and began commercial operation in 1990 burning anthracite culm. The plant was shutdown in July 1997 and set for dismantling and shipment to Asia when PEI Power purchased the site and equipment. In January 1998, Foster-Wheeler was awarded a contract to rebuild Archbald to burn gas.

Photograph courtesy of Power
Posted 4 Dec 2004

Benning Road 15&16
Location: DC
Operator: Potomac Electric Power Co
Configuration: 2 X 290 MW
Operation: 1964-1972
Fuel: fuel oil
Boiler supplier: CE
T/G supplier: GE
EPC: Bechtel
Quick facts: These are the last large-scale generating units in the District. While they operate only infrequently for peaking service, their retirement is uncertain due to regional reliability concerns. The first coal-fired units at the site on the Anacostia River went online around 1917. Coal was phased out of the generating mix in the mid-1970s and the last smaller sets at the site were retired around 1980.

Photograph by M V Jantzen (flickr)
Posted 2 Apr 2010

Buzzard Point
Location: DC
Operator: Potomac Electric Power Co
Configuration: 1 X 35 MW, 5 X 50 MW
Operation: 1933-1945 (ret)
Fuel: fuel oil
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: ??
EPC: S&W
Quick facts: Formal planning for Buzzard Point began in the early 1931. Construction began in late 1932 and the first unit opened on 16 Nov 1933 at a cost of about $5mn. The steam-electric units originally coal-fired, converted to natural gas and oil, and closed in 1981. There has been discussion of commercial re-use of this building.

Photograph by C Bergesen
Posted 18 Dec 2012

Chalk Point
Location: MD
Operator: Genon Energy Inc
Configuration: 2 X 364 MW, 2 X 659 MW
Operation: 1964-1981
Fuel: heavy oil, natural gas, bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W, CE
T/G supplier: GE
EPC: Bechtel, UE&C
Quick facts: Chalk Point was built and operated by Potomac Electric Power Co and sold to Mirant in Dec 2001. This is the largest power plant in Maryland. In 1987, Pepco agreed to maintain much of the 1,160ac site as a wildlife sanctuary. There is also an aquaculture center on the property. Units 1&2 are supercritical coal-fired sets and were retrofit with B&W FGD systems in Dec 2009 by Shaw Group. Unit-1 also has an SCR system, Unit-4 was the last conventional, utility-owned, oil-fired unit built in the continental USA. A Power Plant Trading Card was made for this plant.

Photograph courtesy of Mirant
Re-posted 27 Jan 2010

Delaware
Location: PA
Operator: Exelon Generation
Configuration: 4 X 30 MW, 2 X 156 MW (ret)
Operation: 1920-1953
Fuel: fuel oil
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: GE, WH
EPC: Stone & Webster
Quick facts: Philadelphia Electric's coal-fired Delaware and Richmond steam-electric plants were designed by John T Windrim and W C L Eglin. This site is on the Delaware Rive and includes the former Neafie & Levy shipyard. Construction got underway in 1917 but stalled due to lack of financing. Work re-started in 1920 and the first two sets came online later in the year. Two more 30-MW sets were ordered in 1923 and a pair of much larger units in 1950. The 30-MW units were retired in the 1970s, but Units 5&6 operated until 2004, having in the meantime been converted to oil firing.

Photograph courtesy of Philadelphia Electric Co
Posted 24 Nov 2009

Fairless
Location: PA
Operator: Exelon Corp
Configuration: 2 X 30 MW
Operation: 1955
Fuel: landfill gas
Boiler supplier: RS
T/G supplier: GE, AC
Quick facts: PECO Energy plant purchased this plant from USX Corp in Feb 1997. It was originally designed to burn oil, natural gas, and waste gases from the Fairless Mill, which was opened in 1952. All "hot" works at the USX site were closed from 1982-1991. In 2004, Exelon started a two-phase project to convert the boilers to burn landfill gas from the Grows and Tulleyton landfills run by Waste Management Inc. At the time, it was the highest-capacity LFG power plant in the USA.

Photograph courtesy of Power
Posted 6 Sep 2006

Gould Street
Location: MD
Operator: Constellation Energy
Configuration: 1 X 102 MW
Operation: 1952
Fuel: natural gas
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: GE
Quick facts: In June 2007, Gould Street-3 was restarted after 5yrs offline due to a turbine failure. Constellation Energy invested $26mn in the restart effort. Gould Street plant will only operate during peak demand periods and is permit-limited to an annual load factor of about 10%. The site is on the north shore of the Middle Branch of the Patapsco River in Baltimore Harbor. Two 36-MW units were built at the site in 1927/28. These were retired in 1977.

Photograph copyright by and courtesy of Constellation Energy
Posted 24 Sep 2008

Martins Creek
Location: PA
Operator: PPL Generation
Configuration: 2 X 150 MW (ret), 2 X 835 MW
Operation: 1954-1976
Fuel: natural gas, heavy oil
Boiler supplier: FW, CE
T/G supplier: GE, MAN, Alsthom
EPC: Ebasco, Gilbert Commonwealth, UE&C
Quick facts: Coal-fired Units 1&2 were shut down in Sep 2007. Units 3&4 were built to burn crude or No 6 fuel oil. In 1996, the units were modified so they could burn natural gas as well. PPL manages hiking trails upriver from the plant as part of the 215ac Martins Creek Environmental Preserve. Adjacent to the conventional plant is PPL's 580-MW Lower Mount Bethel combined-cycle.

Photograph by Mario Burger, Burger Internaional Inc
Re-posted 2 Jun 2012

Schuylkill
Location: PA
Operator: Exelon Generation
Configuration: 1 X 2 MW, 1 X 5 MW, 1 X 30 MW, 1 X 35 MW, 1 X 190 MW
Operation: 1903-1971 (ret)
Fuel: fuel oil
Boiler supplier: CE
T/G supplier: GE
Quick facts: Schuylkill A-1 was the first large-scale, centralized power plant in the Philadelphia region and was dsigned by John T Windrim for Philadelphia Electric Co. Original equipment in 1903 inculded 2-MW and 5-MW steam engine generators powered by steam from 32, hand-fed coal-fired boilers. Three vertical 5-MW turbines replaced the original engines in 1906. In 1935, the boilers were converted to oil firring. Station A-2 was ommissioned beginning in 1914 with two more generators;one a 30-MW, 25Hz generator to supply current for the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Co and the Pennsylvania Railroad; and the second, a 35-MW , 60Hz machine for power production. This was said to be the largest turboset in the world at completion. Charles Steinmetz at General Electric designed a phase-balancer to enable the efficient supply of traction power. In 1950, Schuylkill began CHP operation, initially using exhaust steam to supply steam for heat in the city's distribution networks. The steam/heating componet was sold to Trigen in 1996. The last unit at Schuylkill was closed at the end of 2012.

Photograph courtesy of Exelon
Posted 16 Dec 2012

   
  Vienna Unit-8
Location: MD
Operator: NRG Energy Inc
Configuration: 1 X 162 MW
Operation: 1971
Fuel: heavy oil
Boiler supplier: CE
T/G supplier: WH
EPC: UE&C
Quick facts: A rockfish brooding pond was built at the Vienna plant site in 1985. The plant is on the Nanticoke River in in Dorchester Co. Vienna was acquired by NRG from Delmarva Power & Light, then part of Conectiv, in Jun 2001. A Power Plant Trading Card was made for this plant.

Photograph by C Bergesen
Posted 1 Nov 2015

 

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 01-Nov-2015

Home